Chapter Twenty-One

Seth stared up at the starlit night sky above the Muraille Coast as he rested on his back in the grassy area on the cliffside. Floating beside him was Cerise while Litleo rested her head on his stomach, purring as he scratched behind her ears. Combee hovered overhead while Pawniard sat beside Seth. Behind them, a campfire was burning, illuminating the faces of those who were sleeping already. Seth smiled as he looked back at his newly found friends. They were an odd bunch, but they made his journey a bit more bearable than it would have been had he gone on it alone.

"Contemplating the secrets of the universe?" came Shauna's voice as she sat beside him and stretched out her legs.

"I thought you went to sleep," Seth replied in surprise. "You usually are the first one."

At this, Shauna giggled and shook her head. "Yeah, you're right about that. I do enjoy my sleep, but I saw you were up so I decided to have a chat with my new friend," she smiled.

"Not a bad reason to stay up. So what's on your mind?" Seth wondered aloud.

"I was going to ask you the same thing mister," Shauna replied, casting him a questioning look, her eyes wandering up to the sentient sword as she hovered with her one eye shut.

"Well, I guess you could say that this is somewhat of a hobby of mine. I've always enjoyed looking at the stars. My teacher is partly to blame for that considering most of my time with her was spent outside," Seth chuckled.

"Take a look Seth

"Take a look Seth. See how brightly those stars shine? they're millions of lightyears away, and yet they seem so close at the same time," Mathilde said as she beckoned her pupil to take a seat beside her on the cliffside.

The ten year old Seth meandered over to his teacher's side and plopped down to look up at the canvass that was the starry night sky. It was all so bright and beautiful, partly because the night was clear without a cloud in the sky and the other because there were no city lights to dim the stars. It was the perfet night.

"Is this part of the training, teacher?" Seth asked innocently, getting a chuckle in reply from Mathilde.

"You catch on well Seth. The night sky is also a great teacher as it has many hidden secrets and stories to tell. The constellations, if you look really closely, aren't as random as they appear. While some view their coming together to create the pictures we see as coincidental, they are far from it. In fact, they were designed to tell a story," Mathilde informed him, reaching down to place a hand on his shoulder.

"A story? what kind?" Seth inquired further, curiosity eating at him all the more.

"Of how this world began. Arceus left a little something for us in the sky after it was made. A lot of stories are written in the sky above, and perhaps... one day, yours will be up there too," Mathilde beamed.