Chapter Sixty

Seth thought he'd seen it all. He'd seen people keep Pokémon as pets, service Pokémon for people with disabilities or even therapy Pokémon for those who needed it. But there was a fine line between a pet and a guard Pokémon that was adamant against one getting anywhere near their owner's home. Seth found himself staring down a snarling Rhyhorn that was blowing steam out of his nostrils and lowering his head as if getting ready to charge.

"Is he really considering charging you, m'lord?" Cerise inquired almost in disbelief.

"It would seem that way wouldn't it? I mean... he's barring my path here..." Seth muttered, a hint of amusement in his eyes as he watched the Rhyhorn gear up to attack should Seth so much as take another step forward.

"Should I inform him that it wouldn't be wise to do so?"

"You could, but where's the fun in that? let him find out the hard way," Seth said with a shrug, taking a few more steps toward the defensive Rhyhorn.

Rhyhorn snorted and then bounded toward Seth at full speed. Seth stopped walking and waited for the beast to near. He began channeling through his body at a rapid pace until it manifested itself outwardly as a bright azure light around his body. The charging Rhyhorn suddenly dug his hind legs and front legs into the ground as if to slow his charge as he felt the intensity of the pressure building up around Seth. Rhyhorn found himself looking up into the glowing sapphire hues of the man before him, confusion and nervousness overtaking him completely.

The once aggressive beast was now hesitant to pursue his previous course of action due to uncertainty of what repercussions his actions might have. Seth knelt down in front of Rhyhorn and kept eye contact with him as he reached his hand out and gently stroked his forehead. Rhyhorn blinked, confusion setting in for but a moment before he realized that this man, Seth, was not a threat to his family.

"Taming the beast without the use of force, impressive. Then again... with as much as you were raising your aura, almost anything would bow the knee," Cerise chuckled as she watched Seth stroke the horned behemoth on his forehead.

"I'm here to discuss the ball with Serena, not beat up her Pokémon. I don't think her parents would take too kindly to that," Seth replied calmly.

"Rhyhorn!"

Seth looked up to see Serena standing in her doorway with her arms crossed, tapping one foot impatiently. The horned beast looked back at its owner and watched nervously as she walked from her house to where they were standing.

"How many times have I told you not to do that? I know you're trying to protect our home and everything but could you think before trying to charge someone like that!?" Serena scolded. Especially if that person is Seth, because I'm almost convinced he's not human!

"It's alright, Serena, no harm done. After all, it's like you said, he was only doing his duty," Seth replied, giving an encouraging nod toward Rhyhorn.

"Who said I was worried about you?" Serena murmured to herself, taking note of two hilts sticking out from behind Seth's back. "So... she finally evolved huh?"

Seth nodded saying, "she was insistant on doing so. It happened before I got here actually."

"I see. That's awesome! I'll have to see her in action sometime," Serena replied cheerfully. "So anyway, my uh... mom would like to meet you. Since she knows I'm going to the ball that Allie is throwing, she wants to meet the guy who asked me... which is why I asked you to come over."

"I had a feeling it was something like that. She does know we're going as friends, right?" Seth asked curiously.

"Of course! I mean, she was a bit skeptical at first since I've had boys ask me to dances before that have liked me as more than a friend," Serena sighed.