Chapter Thirty

Seth sat inside the Geosange Pokémon Center, Litleo curled in his lap as he stared at the most recent notification he'd received from nonother than the queen herself. It was a rather lengthy message, and by the looks of things, meant for every participant in the competition. With little deliberation, he played the message.

A hologram of the queen appeared, and after she had cleared her throat, she began to relay her message.

"Good day to you all, gentlemen. I bear news of great importance in regards to the contest. I am sure you are all aware by now that my daughter has made up a list of those of you she will see, and when, throughout the contest. Before, that was to be the only activity that would take place along your journey."

Seth raised a brow as the queen continued to speak. His friends listened in as well out of curiosity.

"However, there has been a new event added to the contest that might interest all of you. As it stands, most, if not all of you, have obtained two badges and are either working on the third or are heading towards it now. After the fourth badge has been obtained, you will have met the requirements for attending the ball that is going to be held at the Parfum Palace."

Shauna squealed with delight.

"A ball!? that sounds so fun!"

"Contestants must bring a date to the ball as it will be part of the contest itself. There, you will be observed on the following criteria..." the queen prattled on.

"A date huh? that sounds interesting," Trevor mused.

"I have a feeling I know where they're going with this," Serena added as she listened to the message.

"How you treat your date will have an effect on your overall performance during the competition. This will be added onto how you treat my daughter as well. Failure to be respectful to her or your date can result in disqualification. So it is advised that you all mind your manners and be respectful, no matter what."

"Why do I get the feeling that last part was meant for me?" Seth half laughed.

"Probably because it was," Serena chuckled. "You and her don't exactly get along from what you told us."

"True. But we've established that a long time ago," Seth replied, listening to the rest of the message as it played.

"Now I am sure you are all wondering what this new event will entail. As most of you probably already guessed, there will be dancing involved, and all couples must participate. My daughter had taken it upon herself to coordinate this event and it is paramount that all who are attending participate. This event will be held two months from today. That should give those of you who haven't acquired the necessary badges, plenty of time to catch up and join the others. If you do not have four badges by the date that is set, you will not be allowed entry into the ball. This is for those who are working hard and are taking this contest seriously. This contest is not only for the prize money you will be obtaining should you win, but for the right to propose to and marry my daughter. In other words, don't be lax in your endeavors to reach this goal."

Seth grumbled mentally at the mention of dancing being mandatory. And while that was somewhat unnerving, he could deal with that. The issue he was facing now was of a related manner, but far more stressful. Who was he going to bring to the ball? There wasn't any doubt that he could obtain his fourth badge by the two month marker, but finding a date to the event? This was the part he would have to really will himself to do.

"Thank you all for your time, and best of luck in your travels..." the queen finished, the message cutting off as it ended.

"Wow! Seth you lucky guy. You get to go to a ball!" Shauna exclaimed. "Balls are so much fun. Everyone's dressed so nicely, and there's music, food, really good food, and just--"