Chapter Thirty-Nine

She could feel it. His approach could never be masked no matter how much he tried to suppress that aura of his. It wasn't just his aura she sensed, but his resolve to win. A smile formed on her face as she stared ahead at the doors. Sweat trickled down the side of her face as she saw the doors of the Tower of Mastery open to reveal the princess... and Seth.

Sparks flew between them as their eyes met, and the thrill of the fight that was about to commence, took hold of the two combatants. Allie shifted her gaze to Seth, giving him a curt nod before finding a place to stand on the side, just above the action, Furfrou following at her heels.

"Finally decided to come back huh?" Korrina called out across the expanse of the arena.

"Was there any doubt that I would? you of all people ought to know that I don't pass up a good challenge," was Seth's reply as he readied himself for his toughest challenge yet.

Gurkinn, who had been waiting for his return, stepped onto the arena floor and assumed his position as judge.

"As the both of you have been through this once before, I shall keep this short. This is an official gym battle! Each side will use three Pokémon each! Gym leaders will not be allowed to switch out, however the challenger may do so as he pleases. Seth will have the honor of first move! ready? begin!"

"Since you like challenges so much, why don't we get you reacquainted with Mienshao!? time to rumble!" Korrina roared, unleashing the bane of Seth's team from her spherical home.

Seth narrowed his eyes as it appeared, remembering the havoc she wreaked upon his team the last time they battled. This time however, he had a few tricks up his sleeve. With a slight glance in Allie's direction, Seth reached down and snapped off his first choice.

"Combee, battle's on! engarde!" Seth called out in a commanding voice.

The little beehive Pokémon burst forth from his chambers, a loud buzz filling the air upon entry. As the smiling insectoid hovered aloft, Korrina began to question Seth's choice in her mind.

Okay... in our first match he sent out Carbink, which made sense since it was a Fairy-type and had a farily sturdy body that could take punishment. Now he sends me a Combee... and a male one by the size of it. Is he even taking me seriously!?

"Tailwind!" Seth commanded firmly.

Combee flapped his wings furiously, stiring up a fierce whirlwind that dramatically increased his speed and flight capabilities. It was then, that Combee began to zip around the arena, his body gliding along the winds steadily as he increased speed. It was then, that Korrina understood his choice, however...

"Bounce and use Aerial Ace!" Korrina ordered calmly.

Mienshao utilized the power of her legs to launch herself high into the air, powering her whiplike arms up in the process to deliver the first blow, or so she thought. Without warning, Combee began to manipulate the winds around him and whip up a maelstrom of intense winds around his body, repelling Mienshao towards the ground and sliding along the arena floor. On the ground, Allie dawned a smug grin.

So that's why he used Combee. For a moment I couldn't see what was going on, but now I get it. He knows Combee can't outmuscle Mienshao, so he's using a counter shield... of wind... Seth you clever bastard. Okay, if I can't get in close, I'll have to hack away at you from a distance!

"Mienshao, let's try a little target practice! Stone Edge!" Korrina cried out fiercely.

That's right Korrina, keep your distance. It'll be tough to hit Combee if you can't bypass the wind, Allie mused to herself as she watched Mienshao slam her arm into the ground, causing stones of massive proportions to surface, causing Combee to weave and dodge around them as he closed in on Mienshao.