Chapter Twenty-Three

"Stay focused! Cerise, Autotomize and then use Shadow Sneak!"

"Pikachu, strike back with Thunderbolt!" Trevor cried out.

Sparks flew from Cerise, and her bladed frame began to glow red from the heat of her power up. As Pikachu loosed a bolt of electrical energy her way, she made herself scarce and vanished into the shadows beneath, snaking a trail towards the bewildered mouse before bursting out of the ground and slashing upward, just missing her mark as Pikachu used Quick Attack to backpedal.

"Getting a hit in may prove more of a challenge than I initially thought," Cerise mused, adjusting herself so her body was pointing toward her adversary.

"I figured you could use some speed training. And who better to do that with than a Pikachu?" Seth replied, glancing over at Trevor with a grin. "So let's continue, Aerial Ace!"

"Iron Tail!" Trevor countered.

In a burst of speed, Cerise slashed diagonally at Pikachu after closing the distance quickly, a satisfying clang of steel against steel ringing out as the two attacks met.

"Right where I want you," remarked the blade as she sank into the ground swiftly and hammered home a Slash from behind the electric mouse, slamming him hard into the ground.

As Pikachu pushed himself up, the tip of Cerise's blade was at his throat, causing him to sweat nervously and put his paws up.

"Pikachu, come on back," Trevor called out to his companion.

With a sigh of relief, Pikachu scampered over to Trevor, who picked him up and ruffled the fur on his head. Cerise proceeded to sheathe herself and turned to face Seth, earning an approving smile from her master.

"That was a good match you two! Pikachu and Cerise were awesome!" Tierno exclaimed excitedly. "It was an awesome dance off!"

"I don't know about a dance off, but it was fun," Trevor smiled. "Your Pokémon sure are tough, Seth. Pikachu and I could barely keep up."

"While dancing and I have an odd history, I will have to side with Tierno here. A battle is exactly like a dance. There's always a rhythm to follow during the flow of battle, and it changes at a constant rate," Seth explained. "It's like the steady progression of a foxtrot."

Trevor considered this. "That makes sense. The foxtrot has various styles and can go from slow to fast at any time. Interesting..."

"Wow Trevor, I didn't know you knew so much about dancing," Serena teased.

"Did you honestly think I wouldn't with the amount of time I spend talking to Tierno? If the topic doesn't somehow involve dancing, it's a miracle," Trevor laughed.

"Can't argue with that," Tierno grinned.

Cerise settled herself onto Seth's back and sighed happily. "That was a fun duel."

"You seemed to be enjoying yourself. You did well out there," Seth commended her as he walked back to the group.

"Alright you guys, I don't know about you, but I wanna go see some caves!" Shauna shouted with glee, flashing Trevor a bright smile.

The ginger smiled back and began to ready his camera. "I'm ready too. I've been waiting a long time for this!"

"Then what are we waiting for!? let's go!" Shauna squealed, racing up to Trevor and grabbing him by the hand to lead him back into Ambrette Town.

The others soon followed suit, Serena walking beside Seth so she could converse with him. While the others were ready for the caves, Seth had decided to pay a visit to the Fossil Lab instead, telling Serena she could go with the others if she wished.