Chapter Fifty-Four

Challengers crowded into the Prism Tower, each awaiting their turn to battle against the Gym Leader for the Voltage Badge. Collette and Melody joined Seth's friends on the bleachers to watch Seth face off against Clemont. Seth stood in his trainer's box, eyes closed in deep meditation as he went over his strategy for this particular gym. As far as speed was concerned, he knew his team was at a severe disadvantage as most Electric-types were known for their astounding speed. 

"Looks like we've got quite a crowd here," Clemont observed, glancing around at all his soon-to-be challengers. "I've had a lot of tough challenges lately, and I'm sure you won't be the last."

"I wouldn't classify me as tough, but I'll definitely give you a good fight," Seth replied, earning knowing looks from his friends. 

"Tauros shit!" Cerise coughed.

Seth rolled his eyes at Cerise's remark and shifted his attention from the audience back to Clemont. 

"Ready when you are," Seth declared. 

Clemont nodded and looked over at the judge standing off to the side. It was a robot that had similar features to Clemont himself. 

"Clembot, you'll be the judge of this match. Go ahead and start us off!" 

Clembot held its robotic arm in the air and called out, "the Lumiose City Gym match will now begin! both sides will be allowed four Pokémon each! the battle will be over when one side is no longer able to continue. Furthermore, only the challenger will be able to substitute Pokémon during the battle! both of you, please send out your first Pokémon!"

"Emolga, let's go!" Clemont shouted, releasing the Sky Squirrel Pokémon into the air. 

The airborne rodent spread his winglike flaps and hovered aloft, smiling excitedly as he waited for the opposition to make itself known. 

As I predicted, he'd start with something fast like that. Fortunately for me, I have a counter for that...

"Carbink, come on out!" Seth hollered as he launched Carbink onto the battlefield. 

Bursting forth from its chamber, Carbink was surprised to see that it was taking part in another gym match. While it had been training with Seth and his companions for a while now, it still wasn't entirely confident that it could handle a battle after letting Seth down the first time in Shalour City. But if Seth was using it now, that must mean that he must still desire to keep it around. 

"Are you certain I'm a good pick for this fight? n-not that I'm questioning your judgement or anything but—"

"Hey, don't worry about it Carbink. I know you're still beating yourself up about last time, but you've grown stronger since then and I'm confident you'll be able to handle this. You're my key to winning this after all," Seth said with a smile. 

Carbink didn't know what to make of that. How could it be the key to winning a battle of this magnitude? All his other Pokémon were far more powerful than it was, and could probably handle the battle a lot easier than it could. Whether Carbink believed him or not, Seth was its trainer, and he believed in it enough to make a statement like that, and that's all that mattered. 

"If you think I can do it, then I'll certainly give it my all," Carbink replied as it turned around to look up at its adversary. 

"That's what I like to hear. Now let's get that badge!" Seth shouted confidently. 

"Right!" Carbink replied with determination in its voice. 

"Let the match begin!" Clembot shouted, swiping downward with its hand.