Chapter Eighty-Nine

Seth had a feeling he would be facing off against someone else from the competition sooner or later, that much was certain

Seth had a feeling he would be facing off against someone else from the competition sooner or later, that much was certain. As a matter of fact, he'd hoped he'd get to battle them as early as possible as they were all obstacles in his way. He recognized Thomas as one of the first people he'd met at the gathering the queen had set up to announce the contest. While not as rude as some of the others, there was still an air of arrogance around him that was very off putting to Seth. As their names went up on the board, Thomas cleared his throat to speak.

"I have to admit, I wasn't expecting you to get this far. After that mishap at the party, I thought it cemented fact that you and Allie disliked each other. But since you're here now, I can see that's not the case. Still, you should give up while you can because I don't intend to lose to you," Thomas said with a cocky smirk.

"You're right about one thing, I didn't like her at first. But after spending time with her and getting to know who she was, I was able to change my tune. We put our differences aside and as you pointed out, I'm still here. So while I admire you being straight with me, I'll have to say no to walking away," Seth replied firmly.

"If that's how you wanna play it, fine by me," Thomas shrugged. "But don't say I didn't warn you after you get crushed," Thomas chuckled as he readied his first choice while the judge stepped out onto the battlefield.

"It's time for the first bout of the preliminaries to begin! Kicking off the Lumiose Conference are Seth and Thomas, two young hopefuls vying for the chance to take Allie's hand in marriage! The stage has been set. Trainers, send out your first Pokémon!"

"Scolipede, it's time!" Thomas declared, tossing a black and white sphere onto the field.

The monstrous megapede towered above the battlefield as it was released. Scolipede cast an intimidating glare down at the opposition, hunger in his eyes as he awaited the release of his first prey among three. Seth looked up at the daunting eight foot adversary and smirked. He knew exactly who to choose for this match.

"Cerise, why don't you come on out?" Seth said calmly, his eyes not leaving Thomas's as Cerise began to materialize beside him, her evolved form on full display.

The Royal Sword had been invisible up until that point so as not to draw any unnecessary attention until she was called to action. Hovering forward, she readied herself for the battle that was about to commence. She had trained hard each day up until this point and had worked tirelessly to earn the power she had gained just days before. She planned to put every bit of her newfound strength to good use, and that all began with the imposing creature standing against her.

"This will be a three on three battle," the judge began as she looked between the two combatants. "The battle is over when all three Pokémon from either side are knocked out. The winner will proceed to the next preliminary round! Both sides ready?" she asked.

After receiving confirmation from both sides she raised her hand to signal the start of the match by shouting, "you may begin!"

After being given the command to start, Scolipede gave a mighty shout and rampaged toward Cerise, his horns glowing bright green as Thomas gave the order for Megahorn. As the great venomous beast approached, Cerise readied herself by switching her mode, her shield out to the side as her side as she angled her bladed body. A dark purple aura erupted around her obsidian frame as soon as she swung the edge of herself toward the horns of her attacker, sparks flying the impact the moment they clashed.