One Last Mission

Background: JLA has to team-up with villains to save the world. Nightwing and Deathstroke got paired together for a mission.

Also! They have made a deal a few years ago that Slade would be the one to kill Dick in a fight if he asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pair had only been in the jet in an unnatural silence for a few minutes.

Nightwing pulled off his mask to reveal broken cerulean eyes, "Slade, I'm so tired."

Slade's back stiffened as he realized what Dick just did.

He quickly punched in the code for autopilot before turning his seat towards Nightwing's.

Slade pulled off his Deathstroke mask, "Dick, what do you mean?"

Guarded blue eyes stared into broken cerulean eyes.

"I'm so tired of all of this. The fighting, the lying, holding back, going on under-cover missions; it's all so much." Dick frowned, looking down at his lap, flashbacks over taking his head.

"We'll have to be careful how we do this, my friend. There's no turning back after this. The Team  will hate us." Kaldur said solemnly.

"It was your stupid mission. You're just like Batman!" Wally screamed and pushed him in anger.

"Another Robin doesn't do that to another Robin!" Jason punched him hard.

"Well, I told you being a hero would get to you. But I also know with your morals that being a villain isn't the answer either. Are you thinking of going civilian?" Slade asked, true honesty bleeding through his words.

"That's the only thing left besides..." Dick trailed off.

"Kid, I know I made that promise to you. Remember what I told you when we made that?" Slade asked, voice dipping into a somber note.

"You said I had to be completely sure and that you weren't going to do it unless I exhausted all other options." Dick said, fiddling with his mask in his hands.

"I did. I would hate to kill the potential that you have. But being someone who isn't you is a waste too." Slade said, leaning back in his chair.

"I'm about at my rope's end. The complete shit I've been through. I've seen more than anyone ever should. It haunts me even while I'm awake. The nightmares aren't getting better. I lied to everyone about that. They've been getting worse. And I don't think I can forgive myself after Spyral. I don't blame anyone else that can't forgive me either. And...I don't trust myself any more." Dick whispered the last part so softly that Slade almost didn't hear it.

"Kid, that's the thing about you. You don't have to play by anyone's rules. You make them now. It's stupid to keep you to just one role. You're so versatile that anyone would be lucky to have you. The Bats don't deserve you. They don't appreciate you. You already know that though. So, do what you always do- make some new rules. Or change the game." Slade smirked.

Dick just looked at him, but Slade could see the gears in his head turning.

"Either way you choose," Slade plucked Dick's mask from his hands, "You have one last mission to complete, Nightwing."

As Nightwing remasked, so did Deathstroke.

One last mission to save the world.

One last mission until Nightwing was free.

~~~~~~~

The heroes on the WatchTower frowned as the two remasked.

They knew the relationship between Deathstroke and Nightwing was a strange one, but they didn't know how close the two were.

It was very disconcerting.

This one has been "done" for a while, but I still feel like it's missing something. I might add on to it later or make part 2? I'm not sure honestly.
Hope you guys enjoyed this anyways!
~Raven <3