The First Cuddle (Alfred!)

Richard Grayson was 8 when he was first taken in by Bruce.

Bruce was often not there and when he was, he was cold and very emotionless.

And Richard would admit it.

He was very scared of Bruce.

After the other people he was trialed by during his stay at the Juvenile Detention Center, Dick didn't know what to think of Bruce.

The man was tall, very muscular, and seemed very angry. Or at least vary dark.

Richard was scared to be around him.

It reminded him of the couple that abused him. Mostly the man that abused him.

Dick was very sure that he was going to be abandoned somewhere again, so he always kept his backpack packed.

Alfred would unpack it every day, only to find the next day that Dick had packed it again.

However, one day Alfred found the backpack was not packed.

He gave a smile.

That was, until he saw why.

Richard was missing, along with a jacket.

However, there was a note on his bed.

'You no want me. I go Circus back.' Was all the note said, written in Dick's broken English.

Somehow Alfred knew that Master Richard had gone back to Haley's Circus.

Or, at least, where it had been.

A lot of time had passed since Richard was in the circus, so of course they had left by then.

However, the 8 year old didn't know that.

Alfred knew what he had to do.

~~~~~

The car Alfred took to the place where the circus was came to a stop.

Alfred got out and started to look around.

He finally found Richard crying under a tree.

"Master Richard?" Alfred came beside him and crouched down.

"They no want me neither!" Dick sobbed loudly.

"Oh, no, Master Richard! They fought to have you back, but they couldn't. They wanted you so badly." Alfred said, tucking the boy's bangs behind his ears.

"Why leave?" Dick asked, pain in his eyes.

"They had to. But don't you worry, I'm here. And so is Master Bruce. We will always be here for you." Alfred promised.

And for the first time in months, Richard hugged someone.

Dick held on tightly as he hugged Alfred.

Alfred put his arms around Richard, pulling him close.

"Now, let's go home and get you into some clean, warm clothes. Not good to be out in this wet, cold anymore." Alfred said.

He led Richard to the car.

~~~~~

Dick was soon in his warm, fleece pajamas.

He came down to the kitchen holding Zitka, his stuffed animal elephant from his parents.

"Cuddle?" Richard asked, looking up at Alfred with big wide eyes.

Alfred was taken aback for a few moments before he scooped the child up.

"Of course." Alfred took Richard to his bedroom and put him on his bed.

Alfred grabbed his own pair of pajamas from his dresser and changed in the bathroom quickly.

When he came out, Richard was already under Alfred's covers.

Alfred got under his blankets and pulled Richard close to him.

Dick snuggled closer to Alfred, putting his head on Alfred's chest.

He felt loved.

"I don't ever want to see you cry again, Richard." Alfred said.

Dick looked at him before smiling, "You no call Master. I like."

Alfred chuckled, smiling at Richard, "In private only. It would be improper otherwise."

Dick swore to do anything to make Alfred smile like that again.

And he'd stop crying if it made Alfred smile.

DID ALFRED HOOK HIM ON CUDDLES OR HIS PARENTS OR IS THAT JUST DICK FOR YOU???