First Store Trip

Richard Grayson, 8 years-old, and Alfred Pennyworth were going to the grocery store.

"What...we?" Richard asked as they entered.

"This is the grocery store, Master Richard." Alfred said, getting a cart and having Dick hold the cart and his hand.

"Gorey story?" Richard tried.

"Grocery store." Alfred corrected.

"Gorey store?" Dick asked again.

"Closer. Don't worry, Master Richard, we'll work on it." Alfred said.

He put Dick's other hand onto the cart so he was holding the cart with both hands now.

"Oh!" Richard's eyes lit up as he took in everything.

Alfred smiled a bit, loving to see that look on the child's face.

It suited him much better than the emotionless mask he had on for the last three months.

"All red!" Richard had trouble with saying his name still but they were closer to it.

"Yes, Master Richard?" Alfred asked.

Richard pointed to a large stand of stuffed animals.

"Lotsa." Dick said.

"Yes, there are a lot of stuffed animals." Alfred said.

Richard gasped as he saw one of them.

He let go of the cart and ran over to it.

"Master Richard!" Alfred yelled, before going after him.

When Alfred got over to the boy, Richard was holding a stuffed animal before he sighed and put it up.

"Why did you put it back?" Alfred asked.

"Nein monies." Richard said.

'No money' Alfred quickly realized what the boy said.

"Silly. Master Richard, you're now with Master Bruce. And I'm sure he wouldn't mind buying a stuffed animal for you." Alfred said, picking up the stuffed animal and handing it to Richard.

"R-Ready?" Dick tried to say 'Really.'

"Yes, now, how about you hold your new friend while we finish shopping?" Alfred suggested.

Richard lit up.

Alfred had never seen such a smile and twinkling eyes on the boy before.

That was the first time Richard came out of his shell since the accident.