[ 040 ]

⤿ October 3rd, 2020

Brianna and John had decided that going out for coffee on the early August day would be a good idea and Brianna had spent the whole time teasing John about how he had asked her on a coffee date. A smile was on her face as they walked down the street though, Bri dressed in a t-shirt and jeans while John was dressed in his usual hoodie and jeans as well. Yet nonetheless the two were walking around the town with cups of warm coffee in their hands as they talked to each other.

Then suddenly Bri came to a stop and John gave her a confused look, unsure of why she had stopped walking. Stepping back, he looked to see what Brianna was staring at and saw that she was looking at a cardboard box that was sitting on the edge of the alleyway. He glanced to Brianna and saw that she had a look of awe across her face.

"What," He was about to ask her what she was so in awe of but she glanced at him and handed her cup of coffee to him. John took the coffee with a look of confusion still across her face but took it anyways and watched as Brianna bent down and took something out of the box. "Bri, are you sure," John started to ask but Brianna waved her hand simply as she stared at the small creature that was now in her hands.

"It's just a baby," Brianna told John as she moved closer to him, showing the kitten that she had found in the box to him. John bit his tongue on how it was probably a bad idea to just pick up a random cat from a box in a random alleyway yet the girl looked so happy so he decided to hold his opinion. "And it's all alone." She added looking back down at the kitten who was relaxed in her hands, the kitten being a mixture of colors which was mainly white, grey and a few hints of orange. Even John had to admit that the kitten was very pretty. "You think I can have him?" She asked and John frowned some.

"Bri," John said carefully as he looked at the kitten and his neighbor. They looked very cute together but John still shook his head slightly due to the fact that it was a random cat. "I don't think it's a,"

"What's the worse that could happen?" Bri asked with a tilt of her head, cutting John off and he frowned some more. She looked at John as if she was expecting an answer and the man looked at the cat in her hands then to the box it had been found in.

"Rabies."

"I'm asking someone else." Bri told John as she pulled out her phone and a few confused noises came from the man as she had ignored the fact that he pointed out that the kitten could have rabies or something of the sort.

"It's a bad idea," John told the girl who gave him a look, telling him to shush as she clicked on a contact. Her phone started to ring and John shook his head slightly as Brianna brought the phone up to her ear and handed John the kitten that he took half reluctantly.

"Hello Brianna." Phil said, already sounding very fatherlike. A grin breaks across Bri's face because she knows that Phil at this point was used to getting random calls from Brianna or the other three boys, asking for his opinion on something and wanting his fatherly advice.

"Hi," Brianna said cheerfully with a grin on her face as she looked at John who shook his head at her decision of calling the man. "I found a random kitten in a box down an alleyway and was wondering if I could keep him." She said as if he was the determining factor of wether she took the kitten in or left it in the box where she had found it.

"What?" Phil asked with a laugh and Bri could hear Kristen laughing in the background as well due to Phil probably streaming with her or her just laughing at the way that he had reacted to the girl asking. "Is there anyone else around or like other kittens?" He asked the girl who looked around humming slightly, trying to see if there was.

"Nope." Brianna simply said and heard a sigh from the other side of the phone.

"I guess you should bring it home and take it to the vet," Phil told the girl who nodded a little, a smile breaking across her face at the idea of keeping the kitten as her own. She smiled at John who continued to shake his head lightly while Brianna continued to listen to Phil on the phone. "It's better if you take care of it until you can either find it a home or take it in." He told her and she nodded as if he could see her although Phil must've known.

"And be careful!" Brianna heard Kristen yell from off screen, a smile forming on Brianna's face at the way the woman cared for her.

"Alright!" The girl smiled brightly as she looked back to John who was staring at her. "Bye Dadza, bye Mumza!" Brianna grinned happily and heard goodbyes from the both of the adults before she hung up and looked to John with a growing grin on her face, taking the kitten back into her own hands as she slipped her phone back into her pocket. "He said that I could bring it home with me."

"Alright," John said, clearly giving up on arguing with the girl because it was clear she was happy and also clear that she wanted to take care of the kitten. Plus their apartment building allowed pets, as long as the pets weren't a bother to others. "But you're carrying it home."