Chapter 8: Cold

Jackie fidgeted on her seat, her eyes focused on the card before her. She had a good one but she wondered what her opponent got. She tried to find his weakness but got none.

Composing herself by taking a deep breath, she played her card. Her lips stretched up into a smile when she saw the man's face drop. But to her dismay, her opponent played the winning card inside.

"Better luck next time kid" He said with a smirk and Jackie's eyes widened.

"In your face sucker!" The man behind exclaimed.

Jackie throw her head backward with a frustrated groan escaping her lips while the men packed the money before her.

"Lost again, Miss Jefferson?" A woman came to drop a drink before her after the men had left.

"I told you not to call me that" Jackie mumbled.

"Isn't that your last name? You should be proud of it" The woman tapped her shoulder lightly.

"Being a rich kid sucks" Jackie said and sat up. "Hey, do you have steaks, I'll love to have some"

"Sure, I've missed you young lady. The meal will be on the house" The woman smiled.

Jackie got back to the Jefferson mansion after a years, studying abroad and living with her uncle.

Getting inside, she found her mother discussing with Kelvin who has a bandage wrapped around his head.

"Baby" Natalie exclaimed, running to hug her only daughter. Jackie didn't bother returning it.

"Wow, you're such a big girl now. How was your study over there?.." She broke the hug and asked.

"Why did you bring me back" Jackie asked almost immediately.

"I've missed you so much" Natalie replied.

"Then why did you send me there even after how I had plead huh? You know how used I am to be around you" Jackie said.

"Awwn, baby I'm sorry" Natalie hugged her again. "I'll never let you go"

"Where's Candy? I've missed her so much" Jackie squealed but Natalie's face slowly dropped.

"Oh.. uhm she left the house"

"What?!!"

"I'll explain everything to you later darling, go upstairs and drop you bags. I wonder why you came so late at night. Did you branch somewhere else.."

"No! I didn't" Jackie quickly responded and followed the maid who take her stuff upstairs. Her mother would be mad at her if she finds about her, gambling.

Natalie breath out when she had left, she faced Kelvin.

"Find out the man who took Candy away or I'll kill you" She warned and head upstairs too.

Kelvin who heard this, eyes stared cold into space.
__

[MIDNIGHT]

At the emigration port, a man dressed in hoodie kept darting his eyes around the place.

"C'mon be fast about it" He snapped at the man before him.

"Calm down idiot" The other man said, putting down some details on the small note. "What gave you the nerves to offend him of all people?"

"Not my fault. Do you know how much I was paid to mess with him?" He asked.

"The money is enough to risk your life huh?" The other hit the note on his chest.

"Mind your business" He said walking away with the note. That was what he was going to use to get out of here before the devil finds him.

Checking behind him, he kept on walking until he bumped onto a chest.

"What the.." he wanted to curse but his heart fell into the deepest hell seeing the man before him.

He wanted to run but Diego grab his hair from behind and hit him on the nearest container.

"Don't kill me please" The man begged but his throat was slashed as blood spilled all over. He drop deaf on the floor instantly.

Diego dropped the bloody knife on the floor and cleaned bloodstains on his hands using a neat handkerchief as he leave the place.

When the other man came out, he saw the lifeless body and the cigar dangling at one side of his mouth fell to the floor.

"Ahhh!!!"
___

As the sun rose up, Candy was busy in the kitchen making breakfast.

She haven't seen Diego ever since he entered his personal room angrily. She had woke up early to make a meal to apologize for her clumsy attitude yesterday.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad. Please don't send me away" She practiced staring at the wooden spoon in her hand.

"No, that sounds awkward" She shook her head and took a deep breath.

"Stop being cold to me. let's make things work in between us" She paused and slap her forehead gently. "That would only make him mad. It sounds like a darn command"

She took a deep breath again and slowly turn.

"I'm sorry for my... Ahh!!" She jerk when she found Diego before her all of a sudden.

"Good morning sir" she bow gently, while scolding herself inwardly. Since when have this man been standing behind her?

Diego who was all dressed up for work, took in the situation of the kitchen.

"What in the world are you doing?" He asked, in his deep voice. She was dressed in big black top and and Jean shorts that barely reach her knee, her hair tied into bun and her face looks pretty.

"Making breakfast" She stuttered, seeing how his face squeeze in disbelief. "I took the phone number of the woman who came yesterday and made the kitchen look good for making home food"

"Didn't I ask you not to act nice?" Diego asked in a hard tone. Why must he be so cold? Is he always like this?

"I made this as an apology for what I did yesterday and I.."

"Are you this disobedient?" He asked and scoffed.

"Don't bother apologizing, I'll still punish you for what you did yesterday. Keep the breakfast to yourself" He said and turn to leave the house.

Candy face dropped with sadness. She had put her best in the meal with the aim of pleasing him. She slowly sat on the couch and buried her face on the table.

"I hope he doesn't send me out" She mumbled.

After making the meal, Candy serve herself and stared at it with a blank look. She had thought she would be having the breakfast with him and find a chance to get to know him.

But this man is so cold not giving her the chance to progress with him.

The doorbell rang while she was eating. Is he back? She grab the cup of water on the table and took a sip.

Opening the door, she found a strange luxurious looking lady instead of Diego.

"Huh?" The lady raised her brow as her face squeeze with total confusion.

"Uhm who are you and how may I help you?" Candy asked as she drank out of the water. The lady folded her arms in disbelief.

"I'm Venessa Maxwell, and I'm here to see Diego"

Hearing the name 'Venessa Maxwell' Candy's eyes flew opened with shock.

She immediately spit the water in her mouth straight to Venessa's face.