Chapter 70: Shortie

(NEW YORK)

In a comfortable apartment lay an old man. His eyes surrounded by wrinkles opened up when his doorbell rang.

"Those kids are here for another candy?" He mused as he stood to reach the door. His face dropped upon seeing his son.

"What?" The man asked with a bored look. He saw Diego and smiled widely. "Oh, my son." He walked past Einstein and hugged Diego.

"Son? Grandpa, really? You haven't seen me in a year."

"You're always a troublesome person, always coming to see me whenever you need something," the man glared, then frowned.

"What about your second friend, the funny one?"

Diego sighed. "That's why we are here."
___

(GONZALEZ COOPERATION)

"Here, to calm your nerves," Aiden said, dropping a cup of coffee before Yazmine.

Jameson had the surgery a day ago, but the main part was for him to wake up. If he does, then everything will be fine. Yazmine couldn't shake the fear in her; she could only pray everything would go well.

"Thanks," she said, her voice barely audible. She drank from it and smiled. After that night they had, they barely spoke to each other.

"Would you like to go somewhere?" Aiden asked, trying to lighten her mood.

"No, I'm tired," she replied, not looking up at him. Sensing his stare, Yazmine looked up and frowned. "What?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. "I'll be leaving."

As he shut the door, Yazmine released the breath she had been holding. Her right hand went to her left chest.

"Gosh, heart, can you just calm down," she muttered, recalling their kiss. "What have I done?" she mumbled, palming her face.

It was then Candy walked in.

"You alright?" she asked. Yazmine quickly composed herself.

"Yeah yeah, I'm fine," she smiled.

"We're going to the grocery store, remember?" she reminded.

"Right," Yazmine forced a smile.
___

"I've missed Jameson," Candy smiled, selecting groceries carefully.

"I do too I've been praying. Once he wakes up, I'm never going to nag him ever again," she stated, and Candy snickered. Yazmine stared at Candy for a while, remembering the night Jameson got drunk because of her.

"Jameson is such a good person, and I hope someday he'll find the happiness he craves for," Yazmine muttered.

"I hope so too. Jameson deserves happiness; I wish to give him that," Candy said. Yazmine's smile dropped a little.

"I need to use the restroom, I'll be right back," Yazmine excused herself and left.

Candy's eyes caught a canned good which was placed high, it was the last one. She tried to reach it but couldn't, then huffed in anger. Why did they have to make it this high? Trying luck again, her hand still couldn't reach it not until a hand took it.

Candy turned to see the person but bumped into a hard chest. Her eyes met with a pair of grey eyes staring down at her. His black hair styled backward. He was wearing a simple black shirt and black pants. Some of his tattoos were visible from his neck. He was the same height and aura as Diego.

"Uhm, that's mine," she stated, pointing to the can the man was holding, smiling awkwardly.

"I know," the man nodded and gave it to her. "I was just helping you out."

Candy bowed a little. "Thanks."

"Your husband ain't here to help?" the man spoke, in his deep voice.

"How did you..." she blinked in confusion.

"The ring on your finger shows you're married. So I was wondering why he had to stress his short wife."

"Who are you calling short?" Candy pouted, glaring. The man found it cute.

"Just kidding, don't get pissed," he raised his hand in surrender. Candy finally smiled. "I must say, you look pretty."

"Thanks but don't hit on me." She shook her head.

The man let out a light chuckle. "I just want to make a friend. I came back here, trying to get back to my family"

"I wish you good luck with that," Candy mumbled.

The man nodded. "I hope to see you soon, shortie."

"Hey!" Candy snapped, but the man began to leave.

"Candy," Yazmine called behind, her gaze moving to the man who just left, and frowned a little. "Who was that?"

"Just a weird guy calling me short. Yaz, am I short?" Candy asked, blinking cutely.

"You're just average," Yazmine chuckled and Candy nodded puffing her cheek. Screw him, she thought.

***

Meanwhile, the man who met Candy at the grocery store sat in a dark room. His finger played with a fire lighter as he stayed deep in thought.

The door opened without a knock, and Vincent stepped in with an upset look.

"I thought I told you not to step out. Where the hell did you go?" Vincent asked the man sitting with his back facing him.

"I went to get some fresh air. Is that a crime?" The man asked lightly.

"No, but not for now, okay? You have no idea what I went through just to get you out, Griffin," Vincent said.

This time Griffin turned to look at him, his gaze cold, as an amused smile graced his lips.

"How's Hannah?" He asked lightly, he wasn't putting on any shirt so his dangerous tattoo gave off his crazy dark aura.

"Your mother.. I don't know what is wrong with her? I just hope she'll be okay. Are you not going to visit her?"

"When is he returning?" He asked ignoring his father's question. His gaze darkened. "I can't wait to meet him."

"Remember, Griffin, do not do something stupid."

"Of course I won't," Griffin said, having an underlying meaning. "You know, father, I met an interesting person today."

Vincent sighed, rolling his eyes. "Who?"

"An angel... her name is Shortie."
____

Meanwhile, in New York, Jackie stared at the man lying on the small comfortable bed with his eyes closed and breath steady. She had been beside him, reading him books and making sure he got his treatment.

"Mr. James, you'd probably hate me when you wake up. I actually let out your secret, but trust me, I never regretted it. Instead, I felt I should have done it sooner." She reached for his hand and caressed it gently. "When are you going to wake up? I promise never to call you grumpy again... I've missed you."

She said, with a sad smile.

After a long while, Jackie fell asleep, her head rested on the bed, and her hand intertwined with Jameson's. The only sound that could be heard was the steady beep of the machine in the room.

A light groan escaped from the man's lips as his one of his finger moved...

A frown settled on his handsome face as his eyes slowly opened... He mumbled...

"Where am I?..."