Chapter 21: We're just getting started

Hearing the question, Xavier tried to find a sign of Diego bluffing but didn't.

"Haha" Xavier let out an awkward laugh. "Why would you ask such a question all of a sudden? Of course I don't wanna die.."

"Then watch it" Diego cut in coldly.

Xavier frowned, he look at Candy who was speechless the whole time and then back to Diego. Is there something between them?

"I'm pretty busy these days. I won't have the chance to go out on a date with you.." Candy rejected politely.

"You should get going, we'll talk business later on" Diego said to Xavier.

Xavier nodded slowly, "huh, right, I'll see you soon then" he said to Candy.

Diego tried to keep himself from flaring up at him again until he left.

Candy held her breath when it was only them left in the office. She could felt his cold glare on her.

"Were you going to accept him?" He tilted his head one side.

"No, I wasn't. I have no feelings for him" She replied honestly.

"Really? And you accept the flowers and also the cake if I hadn't stop you.."

"Why do you care?" Candy asked looking up at him. Diego brow curved down the more.

"What?"

"You acted disguisted whenever I'm around you and yet you don't want me with someone else? What is it you want? Huh? I've tried my best to please you but none is working. You kissed me that night and then push me away. If you want me to stay away from you then fine.. but I'd appreciate it if you'll stop confusing me. It sucks" She said said those words with a cold look. Diego only stared at her, his aura incredibly cold.

Turning around to leave the office, he held her and pinned her roughly against the wall, with his hand wrapped around her neck. His face close to hers and his breath uneven due his anger.

"The fuck?" He growled. "How about I remind you how you offered yourself to me. I had warned you about myself but you went ahead, locking yourself in my den. Are you tired?"

Candy whimpered because of his hold around her neck.

"You shouldn't be sweetheart, we are just getting started" He released her and left the office.

Candy stood with her back rested on the wall. Tears creeping down her face. He was right, he had warned her and she agreed to be his.

Sliding down to the floor, she buried her face onto her folded knee and sobbed lightly.

"You didn't finish?" Candy's supervisor, Alexa asked when Candy submit.

"I'm sorry about it" Candy apologized and she sighed, dropping her glasses.

"Is there something wrong?" Alexa asked lightly.

"I just feel tired, I'm sorry"

"It's fine, make sure you rest well okay?" She said.

"Thanks"

"Hey you!" Alexa turned to one of the employees. She stood up and walk towards them.

"Complete these" Alexa said handing the file over to her. "The work is almost done, just finish it up before leaving the office"

The shocked employee could only bow without arguing.

"You can go home Candy" Alexa smiled. Candy thanked her and left the place.
___

On her way, a car stayed from a distance as the people in it watch Candy come out of the company.

"Is she really the one?" Hannah asked Venessa.

"Yes, I saw her in his house the other day. She was putting on an apron. Which is weird" Venessa explained.

"Follow her" Hannah ordered the driver.

Just before their car could reach her, another car stopped before Candy instead. The car window wine down revealing Jameson's face.

"C'mon in" He said.

Candy nodded with a smile and entered the car.

"Who was that?" Venessa asked.

"We'll find out, keep follow them" Hannah said.

"How about a dinner before I take you home?" Jameson asked Candy, she didn't replied and seems to be thinking.

"Candy?" Jameson called.

"Huh?" Candy snapped out from her thought.

"Are you okay? You seem troubled"

"I'm fine, I'm just tired" She lied.

"It's Diego, isn't it?" He asked but she only stared at him. "Let's talk while we have dinner together"
___

A meal was searved before Candy. She thanked Jameson with a bow and picked up her spoon and started eating slowly.

"How did it go?" She asked. She was drown with Diego's thought that she almost forgot to ask about her step mother.

"It went well. We have the video" Jameson replied.

"Did she confess if she knows anything about my father's death?" She asked.

"That will be later. Right now, you need to eat. Yazmine told me you skipped lunch"

"I wasn't hungry" She replied and Jameson kept quiet and watch her. If Candy knows Natalie killed her father at this moment, it won't be cool.. especially while she is in this mood.

"Can I know something about Diego?" Her voice cut through the silence.

"Like what?"

"His past or his parent"

"That I can't tell you. He'll be the one to tell you himself" Jameson said and Candy understood him.

"I can only tell you the first I saw him" Jameson said and Candy listened carefully.

"He was on a hospital bed with his life supported by a steady beeping machine. His face paled and seems not to have life in them. He was just ten years old and I was six staring innocently at the doctor trying to revive him. My mom was the surgeon that saved his life that day. She had bought me to work due to my family issues... When I asked what happened to Diego, she said he was poisoned and had came to the hospital himself..."

The blood on Candy's face dried up, she was shocked and worried. Who could have poisoned a ten year old kid?

"He must have known the people around him hated him at that age. He would have died that day if he was few minutes late" Jameson lean close to Candy, resting his elbows on the table.

"Diego have a lot of enemies Candy. He must have warned you about himself before letting you stay by his side. I don't mean to scare you but know this. The moment he will announce you as his bride. His enemies will come looking for you"