Chapter 42: Maybe

"Yeah, she's my little sister. She came to check up on me" Aiden replied behind her. Yazmine immediately felt crazy by her action, she surprisingly felt relief by his statement.

"Anyway, did something happen? Who could have ruined your mood this morning?" Aiden asked curiously.

"Nothing, just get to work" She said, walking away immediately.

"I should go now, I'll see you soon brother" The girl said and left.

"Okay bye, Andrea"

Aiden gaze went to Yazmine's retreating back. His lips slowly curve up into a knowing smile.
____

Getting around a corner, Jameson face Candy.

"What do you want to talk about?" Candy asked.

"What happened to you?" Jameson inquired, and she blinked wondering what he meant.

"Nothing, I was just tired..."

"Don't lie to me Candy. I know you more than you imagine. Was it Diego?" His serious expression, confused Candy a little.

"It's nothing James" She whispered.

"Nothing? Your eyes are bit red, you must have cried. And you said it's nothing? What he do?"

"James, just forget about it okay?"

Getting to know his guess was right, Jameson went back in. Candy got worried.

"James? James where are you going?" She asked but the man kept walking fast towards the elevator. He closed the door before she could reach him, heading to the last floor.

Slamming the office door open, Jameson stepped in and found Diego reading some documents. His gaze went straight to him.

"Can't you knock?" He asked.

"Leave the boss and assistant relationship aside. I'm here to talk you as a friend. Who is Candy to you?" He asked.

Diego slowly drop the files in the table, his gaze devoid of emotions.

"Just a wife? What?... Did you she complain to you about me?"

"Diego what the hell is your problem? Why doing you keep pushing people who care about you away? I still see no reason why you should be this cold to her. All she was trying to do is to fix you.."

"I don't need fixing James and even if I do I never asked her to.."

"She tried to make yesterday a good one for you and all you could do is to hurt her?!" Jameson's voice was already shaking with anger.

"I don't care how she feels James. People around me get hurts so what?!"

"You don't mean those word, do you?" Jameson asked. "You really don't care about how she feels. You really want to push her away?"

Diego kept quiet for a moment..

"You know the day I first saw her. Maybe shouldn't have bought her to the alter to marry you. Maybe I should have just take her and help her solve her problem. Maybe I should have leave you to marry that bitch Venessa.. cus you always push those who wants to heal you. Do you want to stay in that pain forever?" Jameson asked.

Diego could only clinched his fist.

As tension hung in the air, Jameson's words lingered. Diego's internal struggle reflected in the furrow of his brow.

"You think pushing her away is protecting her, Diego? Sometimes, letting someone in is the only way to heal," Jameson continued, his gaze unwavering.

Diego finally spoke, his voice edged with frustration, "She doesn't need this. She doesn't need me"

Jameson sighed, "Maybe she needs exactly what you're too scared to give. Maybe it's time to confront your own demons instead of shutting her out. You won't know the value of something unless you lose it"

The last sentence got Diego..

The door open and Candy find her way in. Feeling the tension in the air, she swallowed. Her gaze met with Diego but she avert her gaze almost immediately.

Jameson turn his gaze to her. "Let's go" He said to her softly and held her hand, taking her out of the office.

Diego ran his fingers into his hair. He was going crazy already with everything around him.

Yeah one more thing... He heard her confess her feelings to him.

'I love you, Diego'

For a moment, he thought he might have heard her wrong but deep down he knew he didn't. So many people have said those words to him but he got hurt at the end.

"Fuck" He cursed under his breath.

His phone rang, breaking the train of his thoughts. He reached for it to end it but when he saw the word 'Old man' flashing on his screen, he decided to pick it up.

"Grandpa" He muttered, his voice almost breaking.

"Grand son.. I heard got a strange information today and I strongly hope it was a lie" The old man's voice sounded on the other line.

"What?" Diego asked.

"The woman you got married was infertile. Tell me this isn't true son"

Hearing this, Diego clinched his jaw. The words seems to anger him.

"She isn't infertile old man. She just have a slim chance of giving birth" His voce sounded a bit cold.

"What's the difference Diego? How do you expect me to see my great grand children?...

"Divorce her....
____

"You shouldn't have done that Jameson" Candy said, as they walked towards the elevator.

"Oh, I needed to. Beside I can't just sit back and watch him hurt you" Jameson said.

"Hm" Was all Candy could say. She was speechless about everything.

"We are going on a business trip tomorrow. I'm sure that would make you feel better" He said.

"That's great" She said, with a force smile.

"I hate your mood today Candy. How can I cheer you up?" He asked, stopping his walk. Candy did the same and face him.

"You don't have to worry about me" She chuckled.

"How about a hug? It'll make you feel better" He said, with a lovely smile as he spread his arms.

Candy wanted to reject but he insisted. She then nodded and gave in. She wrapped her arm around his waist, while Jameson patted her back gently.

Candy felt a little warmth but not like last night, with Diego. But at least she was glad she felt a little. Jameson looked down at her.

"Do you feel better?" He asked lightly.

"A little" She smiled against his chest. "Thanks James" she mumbled.

Meanwhile, two female figure stood from a distance. One has a shock look while the other wasn't surprised. Yazmine and Jackie.

Jackie didn't know when she was squeezing the plastic cup of coffee in her hand..

"What the..."