Chapter 80

flashbacks in italic

We had all been sat outside for about fifteen minutes now,just watching people walk past us all,not saying a word.I'm still sat on the floor,in exactly the same position,scared to move.I close my eyes,but all I can see is the image of Cheryl led on the bed with tubes and wires coming out of her,and the sound of the continuous beep of the machine going through my head.I slowly look up,looking around at all the people who are a massive part of Cheryl's life,just seeing tears trailing down each and everyone's faces.I wipe away a few tears which are falling down my face,my vision starting to become more blurry as more tears start to fall.I put my head in my hands,not wanting to look around at anyone else.I feel someone sit down beside me,then they slowly wrap their arms around me.
"Simon,she'll get through this you know."
I realise then that it was Joan.
"It's my fault she's even like this though." I whisper.
I hear her sigh,
"Hearing everything which happened Simon,it isn't either of your faults.If it was anyone's,it would be Nicole's,but we don't need her in our thoughts right now okay?"
I nod my head.
"Look at us Simon."
I slowly look up at Joan,and she gives me a sad smile,wiping some of my tears away.
"It wasn't your fault okay? She said some things which she's obviously sorry for,otherwise she wouldn't of phoned you to apologise.And you said something in the blur of the moment,and you regret it,cause you wouldn't of text her that apology."
"But I was too late!"
"Simon! You both made mistakes,and you both said things you regret.When this is all over,you both need to talk everything through.I know me daughter,and she loves you! And I know you well enough to know that you love her as well! You two make an amazing couple,and you're the guy for her! Every couple have their bad days,and that's what this was,a bad day.You both mean the world to each other,and what's happened,is gonna make your relationship stronger."
I look back down at the floor and sigh,millions of thoughts going through my mind.
"What if I don't get the chance to tell her I'm sorry?"
"You will! You had that faith when she had the malaria,and I have that faith now! She'll get through this Simon!"
I nod my head,and we sit in silence for a few minutes.
"I want to marry her you know." I blurt out quietly.
"You want to marry her?"
I look up at Joan,giving her a smile.
"Yes I do."
She smiles back at me,
"And I know exactly what her answer would be!"
"Do you think she'd marry again?"
"She's said she would marry again,as long as she knew it was the right person!"
"And am I the right person?"
"She's liked you for a while Simon! You are definitely the right person!"

------
"Is this everyone from Ms.Tweedy's family?"
"Is she okay?" Nicola asks.
He looks at all of us,and waiting for his reply on top of the amount of time we've been sat out her waiting seems a lifetime.
"It's all good news.Ms.Tweedy is okay,she's just asleep right now."
"And our baby?"
"The baby is fine,very healthy infact! Let me tell you something,you have a fighter of a baby!"
I feel tears fall down my face,knowing that Cheryl and our baby are going to be okay.
"What happened before though?" I ask the doctor.
"There was still quite abit of paracetamol in her body."
"Are you sure she's going to be okay?"
"Give Ms.Tweedy a few days,and she'll be back to how she was before.She'll probably want to sleep for a while,and she may be abit drowsy from some of the medication which is going through her body.When she wakes up,we'll be able to take the drip out of her hand."
I slowly stand up,putting my hand out to the doctor.
"Thankyou so much for everything you've done!"
He gives me a smile,
"It's no problem,it's my job.Now,would a couple of you like to go and sit in the room?"

------ (Lily's POV)
I was sat in the hospital room with Nadine,and we were both sat either side of Cheryl in silence,holding one of her hands.We had all been in the room,Simon came in first,before disappearing off somewhere.I was in my own world,just staring down at the floor,when I feel my hand being squeezed.I quickly look up,seeing Cheryl starting to move slightly.
"Cheryl babe,can you hear me?" I whisper.
She slowly opens her eyes,and they slightly stick together.Then I hear her try to talk,but it comes out as more of a whisper.I look at Nadine,and I see tears falling down her face.
"I'm gonna go and let the others know you're awake." I say quietly,wiping a tear away from my cheek.
"No! Please!" I hear Cheryl say in a croaky whisper.
I sit back down on the seat,and she just looks at me,and then looks at Nadine.I see a few tears appear in her eyes,
"I'm so sorry Nadz." She croaks,her voice slowly coming back.
"You're bloody stupid! You know that? We thought we lost you!"
"I'm so sorry!" She says,tears starting to full down her face.
Nadine stands up,leaning down,giving Cheryl a cuddle.
"I'm just glad you're awake babe.But promise me,you'll never ever do anything like that again?"
"I promise! I regretted it as soon as I started it!"
I look at her,and see her go completely pale.
"What about me baby? Is me baby okay?"
"The doctor said you're baby is a fighter! You are seriously lucky Cheryl! But all the girls do now know you're pregnant!"
She closes her eyes,and I hear her sigh,more tears just falling.I stand up,wiping some tears away.
"And Simon?"
I look to Nadine,knowing that she'd be better at explaining that side of things.
"I know what happened Cheryl.I know what was said!"
"Does he still not want anything to do with us?"
"Cheryl,after that phonecall you had,he phoned you up a few times,then he sent you a message apologising.He regretted what he said,he didn't mean it,it was a mistake.He was angry you didn't trust him,but he's sorry,and he'll always love you! He was so scared he was gonna lose you and your baby!"
"Is he here?"
"He has been,but he went somewhere."
"Will he come back?"
"Of course he will silly.He only went for a walk.He's been here the whole time! He hasn't left!"
"When he comes back,we need to talk.I need to apologise for all of this.I risked our baby's life!"
"You can talk when he's back.But first,we need to get a doctor in here,and tell the rest of your family and friends that you're awake."