34 The Promise

Part 34 The Promise

There was complete silence in the car. That was the height of awkwardness for Khushi. She was sitting next to the man who proposed her for the marriage. She dined him because she knew how prideful he is. Having a bitter past, she was not ready to get married to anyone...especially a rich man like Arnav. He gives more importance to status and she herself witnessed it.

Khushi knew he will surely ask her that's why she fainted and reacted that way, seeing the fire. She was absolutely right. Arnav badly wanted to ask her about it. So, she closed her eyes in a manner to escape from his question.

It is nature... life often makes us remember the thing which we never want to remember. Likewise, Khushi remembered the incident which she badly wanted to forget.

Flashback

Twelve years ago, Lucknow

Twelve years old girl, Khushi rushed to her cousin sister Arpita who came from Delhi. Arpita hugged Khushi gladly.

"How are you Beta?" Shashi asked her.

"I'm fine Badi babuji."

Khushi's mother Karishma was surprised, seeing her sister Garima and Jeejai Shashi.

"Arrey... what a surprise...! You guys didn't even tell me about your visit?"

"It's because it's a surprise." Arpita said sharing high-five with Khushi.

They took seat and Karishma treated them with coffee.

"We are here to attend a marriage. So, we thought to shock you." Garima said smilingly.

"Khushi, why don't you go to school today?" Arpita asked her.

Khushi looked at her mother, without answering which made Garima and Shashi share a glance.

"Actually, she had stomach pain in the morning....that's why..." Karishma said smiling awkwardly.

"Khushi beta, come here," Garima called her.

This time, Khushi rushed to Garima, without looking at her mother.

"You are a good girl... I know you don't lie to me. Tell me, why don't you go to school?"

Khushi was about to turn her head towards her mother and Garima stopped her from doing that by holding her jaws.

"Don't you tell me the truth?"

"I was sent out of the school as we have not paid the fees."

Khushi said bowing down.

"Whatttt! Is it true Karishma?" Shashi asked her shockingly.

"Why didn't you tell us about it?" Garima questioned her with a pitiful expression.

"How could she tell us Garima, it's all about her husband, after all...." Shashi said wearily.

"Babuji hits mother if she asks for money," Khushi said with teary eyes.

Garima gritted her teeth.

"I won't leave him..."

"No Jeeji, there is no use of asking him. He completely slipped from our hands. He stays in a sozzled state anytime. I don't know where he gets money to drink because he lost his job due to his drinking habit. I heard he asks money from anyone shamelessly. He is becoming big trouble to this area people."

"He was lying on the road yesterday. I and Amma brought him home." Khushi said in a feeble tone.

"Whatever... I won't leave Lucknow without sorting this problem. Before that, I will pay Khushi's school fees and send her to school."