Chapter 142

Levi POV

I watch her from across the room as she struggles to meet my eyes. Her lips quiver as she opens her mouth to speak, but can't.

She can't.

Her hands tighten into fists at her side. Scoffing I shake my head as I speak.

"You actually thought that would work?"

I can't help but shake my head as I tilt it to the side. My nose crinkles as I glare at her, taking a step forward in her direction.

She shakes her head, eyes squeezing shut as she opens her mouth to speak again.  Her hands tremble at her sides, fingers twitching as she clenches them into a tight ball once more, panicking.

I can't fucking stand it, seeing her like this.

Crossing the room, I grab each side of her face, tilting it back so her eyes were forced to meet my own.

"Look at me."

She squirms in my hold. Eyes squeezing shut, refusing to meet mine. Her hands come up, wrapping around my wrists to pry them free from her face, but I refuse to give her anything.

Holding tight, I run one of my thumbs up and over her cheek, brushing away the tear that ran down her face.

Breathing in her scent, I try to relax before I speak again.

"Open your eyes."

A moment passes before big green eyes peer back up into mine, a sheet of tears clouding her vision.

My thumb runs over her pale skin, taking in just how frail she had gotten. My head shakes slightly. If I hadn't allowed this absurdity to press on for as long as it had, maybe I would have seen it earlier. But as of late, I had only managed to see Y/N in passing. She had made sure to stay out of my line of sight.

My head shakes slightly at her as I speak, confused as to how she thought this would ever work.

"You really think that anything could keep me from you at this point?"

Her eyes meet mine, my face hardening as I study hers. I shake my head once more as I press on.

"That I'd ever let you go? That I'd ever allow you to walk away from me, from us?"

My brows crinkle as they pull together, pulling her face closer until our noses brushed against one another's.

"You'll be lucky if death is enough to rid me from you."

A sob escapes her lips as her eyes fall shut once more before she begins to speak.

"Levi, if I can save you and our daughter, I want to do that. She mentioned me being a descendent from the Allias clan. She said they can perform unspeakable-"

"We know nothing! All of this is based off of a speculation made up by a crazy old hag-"

"Levi! That is your grandmother! She cares for you deeply and wanted to-"

"How do you know that?"

She peers back into my eyes, shaking her head before I allow her to peel my hands from her face. She begins to pace as she speaks, resting her arms on her swollen belly as she walks the room.

"We both know things have always been different with us, more.... I don't know intense, even your grandmother claimed to have seen it between us."

She turns to look at me, but my eyes don't meet hers. They remain staring at the spot she once stood for a moment before I drag them along the floorboards until I find her.