Chapter 74: Slip Up

....Was the little white envelope that had been slid under my door.

I racked my brain, thinking that there was no way the note could've been there when I went to bed an hour ago, I would've walked right past it after checking the locks.... So the knocking I heard in my dream must've been real...

I maneuvered my way around the glass and slowly walked over to stand in front of the note. My heart was pounding in my ears as I bent down and picked it up...

I noticed the envelope was more cream in color than usual... and a little bigger. I stared at it in my hands before I finally got the courage to rip it open. It read:

Heidi,

I'm so sorry for what I did to you. I have a drinking problem, I know. I've decided that once I'm 100% healed, I'm going to start going to AA meetings. I swear I'll never touch another drink again. Please give me another chance, or at least can we talk about this?

- Chase

I felt myself start to tremble as I read his name... oh my god, he had been right outside my door...

I looked at the note, inspecting it up and down. The handwriting was different from all the rest, it was definitely Chase's chicken scratch... a stark contrast to all of the other very neatly written letters.

But what are the odds that I'd been getting these letters and then Chase decided to leave me one of his own?? It had to be him all along...

I could feel my heart beating as I tried to put the pieces together...

Chase had moved to LA not long before me and Vince ended things, right around the time I'd started to get the letters... and I hadn't gotten one since I moved into my new apartment... about the same time that I'd been dating Chase.

I started to get dizzy, backing into my counter and holding onto it for support as my head spun with the thought of this new information.

And what are the odds that I just happen to bump into Chase shortly after Vince and I broke up... unless, he was stalking me so he already knew and... and bumped into me on purpose?

I felt sick to my stomach, I ran into my room and did the only thing I knew to calm myself down...

——————————————————————————
Vince's POV

"Hello?" I asked scruffily as I rolled over slowly and answered the phone that had just started ringing on my bedside table.

I peeked one eye open and saw that it was 1am... who the hell-

"Vince?" I heard Heidi squeak into the other end of the phone and I jolted upright in bed.

"I-I'm sorry, did I wake y-" She started to say before I quickly interrupted her.

"Is everything okay??" I asked worriedly as Holly rolled over in bed beside me and shot me a confused look.

"Um... I-I got.... a letter... from Chase." She said shakily and my heart dropped.

"When??" I asked, looking at the clock again and wondering why she was telling me this at 1 o'clock in the morning?

"Um... like right now. There was a knock on my door and-"

"I'll be right there," I said, throwing the covers off me and getting out of bed.

"Vince, you don't have to-" I heard her start to say before I slammed the phone in the receiver and hung up.