Chapter 54: Double Bottle

Two weeks later

I hadn't heard from Vince at all. It'd been the longest we'd gone without speaking since we'd met two years ago. It felt so weird to not know what he was up to or how things were going.

I didn't even touch the TV remote once in those two weeks. I knew if I had turned it on, sooner or later I'd end up flipping to MTV and I'd be balling my eyes out watching Vince perform or partying with some groupie or something on screen.

Thankfully I hadn't gotten any more little white envelopes either. That was something that hit me a few days after Vince and I had broken up. I practically had a panic attack when I realized Vince wouldn't be there to protect me anymore... I was on my own.

But you know what? I'll be perfectly fine on my own. I moved into an entirely new apartment complex, Heather's just a few doors down and I haven't gotten any letters since I left New York. I tried my best to just bury the thought and forget it ever happened...

Apparently the boys had a night off because Heather was getting all dolled up in front of her vanity while I was sprawled out on the bed behind her. Tommy was flying in for the night and then leaving tomorrow morning, she said they were going out to dinner and a movie but we both knew they wouldn't end up leaving her apartment.

"You sure you'll be alright by yourself tonight, Heids?? You can come hang with me and T if you get lonely!" She said excitedly and a shiver went down my spine thinking of third wheeling with the two of them on Tommy's one night back in town.

"I think I'll pass on that one, you guys have fun." I said as sincerely as I could possibly muster up.

"Tommy said Mick's kidnapping Vince for the night so don't even worry about him." Heather said as her eyes met mine in the mirror.

I was a little worried honestly... the boys had their last night off until the tour ends in three months and it'd definitely crossed my mind that Vince might show up in LA. The worst part about it all was that I secretly kind of hoped he would...

I was jolted out of my thoughts as a knock came from the door. Heather looked into the mirror with a bewildered look on her face and began frantically pulling rollers out of her hair.

"Heidi! Go keep Tommy busy, I'm not ready!" She shrieked.

I reluctantly slunk off the bed and went to open the door for Tommy. His face dropped a little when he saw that it was me that opened the door and not Heather, but then he picked me up in a huge bear hug as he bellowed out my name.

"Hey Tommy," I chuckled as he plopped me down and pushed right passed me to go into Heather's room.

"Tommy!!" She squealed in a high pitched tone when he opened the door.

"Hey baby!" He yelled back while she screamed about not being done with her makeup. I rolled my eyes and laughed at them, walking out the front door and shutting it behind me.

———————————————————————————

It'd been a few hours and I swore I could still hear something coming from Heather's room even five doors down. I'd been curled up on the couch with a  double bottle of wine that was almost empty. I was too drunk to get off the couch, so I'd been laying there fighting off sleep for the past ten minutes when I heard something that shot my eyes back open and took whatever ounce of sleepiness I had in me away.

A knock at the door.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuckkk.

Of fucking course. How could Tommy expect Mick to watch out for Vince? You really think Mick's chasing after him or tackling his ass like Tommy or Nikki would? Hell no. Now what the fuck am I gonna do??

I had on a giant oversized tee shirt and my hair was tossed up into a bun. I threw off my shirt, so that I was only in the high waisted biker shorts and sports bra that I had on underneath. I took my hair down and flipped it around a few times, trying to shake it out with my fingers as good as possible.

I walked over to the door just as he started to knock again. I glanced at myself in the mirror, making sure I looked hot enough to open the door, before taking a deep breath and twisting the handle.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. It seemed like everything was moving in slow motion. My eyes slowly traveling up from the floor to his blonde...br-brown?

Nikki??

"Wha-" I started to say as my brows furrowed in confusion. My brain couldn't even form words, I was too busy trying to process my emotions.

At first I was relieved. I felt like I could breathe again, all the nervousness and jittery feelings were gone... but then I was disappointed. I was trying to ignore it and push it down, but I knew. The second that I realized it was Nikki and not Vince, I was devastated. I wanted so badly to be electrified by his big brown eyes staring back at me. The anxiousness and butterflies were replaced with... nothing. Emptiness. I was left staring back at Nikki, disappointed and drained.

"Look I don't wanna be here either, G-Goldie Locks." Nikki stuttered, obviously high on something based on the looks of him and how profusely he was sweating.

I opened my mouth to ask him why the hell he was here, before he started to tell me himself.

"Vince sent me." He slurred before stumbling slightly, gripping the door frame, and continuing.

"Oh god, I don't even know if I can get this straight right now. I'm half a syringe deep..." he said as his eyes fluttered slightly.

"A syringe? Nikki, what the hell are you on?" I said, taking a step toward him in concern.

"You said something to Heather about how you should've ended things with Vince after that whole tabloid thing and she told Tommy who told Vince- yaddah, yaddah, yaddah- you get where I'm going with this, Heids?" He said impatiently.

"Um... no Nikki? I said, matching his impatience.

"Look that girl that night was all mine. He wanted me to come clear things up, clear his name you know. He doesn't want you thinking he was running around on you all the time, it was just that once." Nikki slurred through his sentences slowly, finally getting the point across.

I don't know if I wasn't thinking clearly... or if it was justified... but I exploded. And I mean e x p l o d e d.

"OH," I said aggressively. Nikki noticed the change in mood and stood up straighter in attention.

"Oh thank you, Nikki!! Thanks so much!! Thank God he only cheated on me once! Whew, what am I even tripping over? It was just once!? Oh man, this changes everything! Thanks, Nikki!" I said overly excited and sarcastic as fuck. I could feel the meanness coming off each word and Nikki looked speechless, but for some reason I kept going. It was like Nikki had opened some Pandora's box within my drunken self and I just couldn't close it.

"Here's a thought Nikki, you and Vince and everyone else just leave me the fuck alone!! I'm so sick and fucking tired of having to deal with this shit all the time! I can't even enjoy one night to myself without Vince sending you across the fucking country to tell me he only cheated on me, ONCE!" I yelled.

Nikki's eyes were fixed down at the floor and he opened his mouth to mumble what sounded like an apology before I decided to twist the knife one last time.

"Just get outta here Nikki. Tell Vince to drop it, it's over. And clean yourself up, you look like a mess." I spat as I slammed the door shut, leaving Nikki on the other side and me, walking back to my double bottle.