Chapter 57: Waiting Game (Vince POV)

Vince's POV

Tommy and I hadn't spoken a word to each other since we'd gotten to the hospital. He kept walking across the lobby to the phone to try to call Heather's hotel and see if she'd landed, but he didn't have any luck.

Just as he was walking to the phone for the third time, I watched him stop in his tracks in the middle of the lobby and wondered what the hell he was doing....

I stood up and started to walk over to him, in case he was talking to a doctor or something, but stopped abruptly as I saw two little arms wrap around Tommy's back.

Ahhh it's just Heather, I thought to myself as I was about to go sit back down. Before I could move, Tommy and Heather broke apart and went to go find somewhere to sit and-

Holy shit

I couldn't believe my eyes. I blinked a few times trying to make sure I wasn't dreaming... but no... there she was...

Heidi?

She had her head turned, mindlessly watching Tommy and Heather walk away. But I saw it happening... almost in slow motion...

Her head started to turn back toward me... I could feel my heartbeat picking up in the seconds before our eyes met. As soon as they did, I braced myself... ready for the sting I knew I'd feel when she looked or walked away... only... she didn't?

I locked eyes with her and we might as well have been the only two people in the whole fucking lobby.

I saw her lip start to quiver and I felt my own emotions about the whole thing starting to boil over... I didn't know what the fuck to do.... All I knew was that right in this moment, I wanted to be with her.

Instantly, without any change of expression or words or anything, I started to split the crowd to get to her. I couldn't form any thoughts, all I could think of was the space between us closing.... Getting smaller and smaller as I weaved through people, never dropping my eyes from hers.

Finally I broke through the people and wrapped her into a hug, crashing my body against hers and feeling my skin tingle as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"It's gonna be okay," She said softly and I pulled her into me tighter. For the first time all day, I actually believed that everything might be okay...

I realized after a few seconds of holding her, that I'd kind of just engulfed her in this hug without even saying hello... I-I just needed someone and I saw her and.... and she she looked so sad, I hate when she looks like that and- and I was sad... Fuck, I hope she doesn't think this is weird?

Before I could fuck things up anymore, I just pulled away and let her go.

"I-I'm sorry, I just-" I said, starting to trip over my words as I stared down at the floor, hoping I hadn't made things awkward.

"I get it... me too." She said, reaching out and placing a hand on my shoulder, causing my eyes to dart up from the floor and meet hers.

I was surprised she'd be so cool with me considering the last time we spoke she was kicking me out of Heather's apartment... I opened my mouth to say something, but just as I did Tommy yelled my name from behind us.

We both swiveled around to see Tommy and Heather in the corner of the waiting room standing in front of a doctor.

Heidi looked at me with a terrified expression... We didn't say anything, but I knew what it meant. She was scared. Shit, I was scared too. And now I'm gonna have to man the fuck up in front of Heidi? Jesus Christ.