Chapter 22: Timing's A Bitch

I busted into the bathroom and leaned against the wall, sobbing with my head in my hands. Get it together, I thought to myself as I tried to steady my breathing and calm down.

After a few minutes of hiding, I finally got my shit together I walked out of the stall and over to the vanity. I wiped the mascara from under my eyes and reached into my purse to throw on some powder. Just because I was acting like a mess didn't mean I needed to look like one too.

I looked into the mirror and decided that I should probably go home considering that there was one of me looking into the mirror and two of me staring back. I stumbled to the door and thought of how good it would feel to get home and take my shoes off, or get in bed, or eat a snack. I needed to think about anything other than-

Vince.

I'd opened the door and suddenly was face to face with him. He was leaning against the door frame looking down at me worriedly. I looked into his big brown, puppy dog eyes and all I could think about was them being 500 miles away surrounded by groupies...

"What's wrong, baby?" He asked, and I immediately looked down at the floor trying to contain myself. I couldn't even look at him as the words started falling out of my mouth.

"I-I... I don't know if I can do this whole tour thing, I don't want to make you miss out on anything and- and I know there's gonna be girls everywhere and... well you're a rockstar so... I mean it doesn't make any sense for you to have a girlfriend... so I- I think maybe we should just call it quits..." I stuttered, almost in disbelief at what I'd just said.

"What?" He asked, taking a step towards me and reaching out to grab my arm. I moved away before he could, pushing past him and heading for the door.

"Wha- where are you going?" He yelled after me.

I stopped and turned to face him, "Vince, I'm giving you an out," I shouted, "I know this has been fun, but this tour is all you've ever wanted. It's a dream come true, I don't want to stand in the way of that."

"How are you standing in the way of anything?" He demanded.

"How are you gonna feel when you're in New York or wherever the hell else and everyone is getting wasted and fucking one of the thousands of girls that are gonna throw themselves at you? Are you gonna want to go call your girl back home? No, you're gonna want to live it up!" I said, finding it increasingly harder not to slur my words or burst into tears.

"Well what do you think Tommy's gonna do?" He shot back.

"Tommy and Heather are engaged! It's different!" I yelled back, thankful that the music was drowning most of this out from the people around us.

"It's not different! What, do you wanna get engaged now?" He asked with a hint of anger in his voice.

"No, God no, that's the last thing I wan-"

"Well then what the fuck do you want Heidi? I thought everything was going good," he shouted.

I stood in silence for a second thinking about what the fuck I actually did want.

"Look I'm giving you an out, Vince. No hard feelings. Go live your life, have fun. For two people to work out they need chemistry and timing. We've got the chemistry, but... but timing's a bitch"

He opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.

"What I want is to just go home." I said before turning and walking away.

I made it all the way to the front entrance without turning around to look for him. I was surprised I hadn't heard him call my name or that he hadn't grabbed my hand and pulled me back by now. I was certain he'd be on my heels chasing after me... But when I turned and scanned the crowd behind me, he was no where to be found.

Guess I was right, I thought as tears began to well up in my eyes again. I ran through the doors of the bar and felt the cool outside air brush against my wet cheeks.

I turned the corner to head back to my apartment and ran right into someone walking in the opposite direction.

"Fuck, I'm sorry... oh Heidi?" Said the tall dark figure in front of me. I hadn't even looked away from the ground, but once they said my name I glanced up out of curiosity. Fuck me. It was Nikki.

"Oh... Heidi..." He said, sounding concerned.

"Shouldn't you be at the Whisky, you know, for your own party?" I said sniffling a few times and trying to wipe away my tears before Nikki could see them.

"I had to go see my dealer first... are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine, it's just uh... Vince and I just broke up... I guess." I said looking back down at the sidewalk.

"Oh shit, what happened?" He said with a look of shock on his face.

"You guys are going on tour... don't say you didn't see it coming," I said back blankly.

"No I really didn't. I can't believe he did that, I thought Vince really liked you. I mean just the other day he was saying-" Nikki stammered, but I started to walk away before he could finish. Whatever he was about to say would've only made me hurt worse.

"I broke up with him," I yelled over my shoulder, not looking back this time.

When I'd finally made it back to my apartment all I could focus on was getting into bed... so you can imagine how frustrated I was when I walked in and stepped on another white envelope that'd been slid under the door.

Jesus, when did he have time to do this? I thought as I picked it up and ripped it open. It was the same writing from before and it read:

"That pink dress looks amazing on you."

I automatically let a slight smile cross my face before I remembered the state of our relationship. In a fit of anger, I ripped it in half. And then ripped that half in half, and then ripped those halves in half. until there was nothing left of the stupid, sweet little bullshit ass note that he'd left me.