Chapter 29: Wildflowers

"What letters, dear?" She asked and I froze...

I felt like my feet were nailed to the floor, I couldn't move- I could hardly think. I stared straight ahead at the wall in front of me, blinking slowly as I tried to process the words that'd just come out of her mouth.

I turned back around, meeting her confused face with my alarmed one.

"You-you haven't been leaving me little notes... in- in white envelopes?" I asked again, hoping maybe she was just confused.

"... No. Is everything alright sweetie?" She asked, taking a step closer.

I looked towards my apartment door in shock. I knew my jaw was hanging open and I probably looked like a deer in headlights. I thought back to all of the letters and... and where they'd been... on my kitchen counter, on my coffee table... inside of my apartment.

And what they said...

I'll always be here...

That pink dress looks so good on you...

A shiver shot down my spine and I felt like I could throw up. My thoughts were racing in my head and I almost didn't even hear when Mrs. Betty called my name.

I snapped back into attention and glanced over at her.

"Are you okay?" She said again in her usual sweet and soft tone.

"Uh... yes- yes ma'am... do you still happen to have that key I gave you when I first moved in?" I said, stuttering my way through the sentence as I struggled to collect my thoughts.

"Oh... about that sweetie, I can't remember where I put it. I haven't been able to find it for a while... I'm getting so old I'm starting to misplace things! I'll pay for you to get another one made, I feel so terrib-" She started to say pitifully.

"No, that's okay. I understand... I-I gotta go..." I said with no emotion as I turned around, grabbed my bags and started walking down the steps. All I could think about was getting out of here. Out of the apartment complex... hell, out of the whole city. I needed to get to Vince as soon as I could, which meant I couldn't miss my flight. I knew that when I was with him I'd feel safe and everything would be okay.

I'd gotten into a cab and been staring out of the window blankly for several minutes without a single thought ever even crossing my mind. Who the hell? Wha-what the hell??

It was almost like I had too many thoughts or questions that my brain couldn't even process them all and just went blank instead. I didn't really feel scared or anxious, I didn't feel anything. I was just so confused.

I had no clue who could be doing this... or why they'd want to... or what they wanted. I mean, I didn't think I was that famous, I really never even thought of myself as famous at all.

I did know one thing for sure... and that was that I was so fucking glad I didn't have to set foot in that apartment again for another year.

———————————————————————————

I walked through the crowd of people filling out of the terminal at the Austin airport. I was desperately searching the crowd for Vince, I didn't just miss him. I needed him. I needed to feel safe and protected and that was Vince's speciality. Part boyfriend, part guard dog.