Chapter 18: Mötley Crüe over?

"... your boyfriend's been in an accident. You need to get down to the hospital as soon as you can."

I dropped the phone and it clattered to the ground. I stared at the receiver, blinking a few times trying to grasp what she'd just said.

"Hello? Ms. Mark?" I could faintly hear from the phone sitting on the ground.

Stay calm, just leave now, get on the 3 bus and you'll be at Cedars-Sinai in ten minutes, I told myself as I snapped back into reality and raced into my room to grab my shoes.

As I slammed the door shut behind me and tried to lock it, I realized my hands were shaking so frantically that I couldn't even get the key into the lock. Fuck it, I thought and bounded down the stairs, leaving the door unlocked.

When I walked into the hospital waiting room, I was relieved to see familiar faces... and then instantly more worried as they all stood up when I entered the room with grief written across their faces.

Heather was the first to walk over to me, grabbing my arm and walking me over toward the group. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry," she whispered quietly into my ear as she motioned for me to sit down.

I shook her arm off of mine and took a step back.

"What the hell is going on? Where's Vince?" I demanded, as I looked around and noticed Tommy, Nikki and Mick all in the room. I saw that Tommy was bleeding from his eyebrow and that Nikki had a bandage wrapped around his hand. My eyes went from Nikki's hand, up to his eyes and he slowly walked over to me.

"Heid... Heidi I- I'm so sorry..." he stumbled through the words, unable to look me in the eye.

"What happened?!" I yelled, trying to contain myself as a tear rolled down my cheek. I'd raised my voice in anger, causing other people in the waiting room to turn and look over at us.

"I was driving us home from the strip club and I drank too much, I shouldn't have been driving but I-" Nikki began ranting and I raised my hand to signal him to shut up.

"Where's Vince?" I said, not caring about the details. I just wanted to know what the fuck everyone looked so distraught for.

"He... he was in the passenger side... and I spun out and into the other lane and a car slammed into his door..." Nikki said, staring at the ground.

I had a blank expression as Nikki slowly looked up from the ground and into my eyes. I said nothing, waiting for him to answer my original question.

"He's in surgery right now, the doctors said if he makes it out of the surgery he'll be okay, but if not... he... he's..." Nikki said slowly, before his lip started to shake and he put his hand over his face, sinking down into the chair behind him.

Heather walked over and put her arms around my shoulders.

"They said he's really weak Heidi and to prepare for the worst... I'm so sorry..." Heather said in a low tone.

I still couldn't process anything anyone had said to me. I stood silent, my hands draped across my sides as Heather tried to hug me. Everyone's eyes were on me and I shook myself out of Heather's grasp and turned back to Nikki.

"So why are you here? You're the one that was driving drunk and you're perfectly fine?!" I yelled again in Nikki's direction and he hung his head low.

I started walking towards him, causing Tommy and Mick to frantically run over to me and hold me back. They each had a hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me down but I wasn't listening to anything they were saying. I had turned all of my confusion, sadness and worry into anger and I was directing it all at Nikki.

I struggled against them, trying to push forward to get up in Nikki's face.

"How dare you Nikki! That should be you in there!" I said, breaking my facade and starting to cry. Tears were streaming down my face and I had started to shout even louder. Tommy tightened his grip on my shoulder and bent down to be eye level with me. Saying something about breathing or some bullshit.

"I know okay! It's all my fault, I ruined our fucking band..." Nikki blubbered out, his head still hanging in his hands.

"Your band? Your fucking band?? That's my boyfriend in there! You ruined my fucking life Nikki!" I shouted, this time louder than before and the hospital security started walking over to us.

"She's cool, she's cool." Tommy reassured the security guard as he was pulling me back towards the entrance.

"Come on let's go for a walk." He said, opening the door and gesturing for me to step outside. I figured I could use some fresh air to clear my head, so I agreed. Stepping outside a few feet.

Prepare for the worst? I thought, taking a few more steps as Tommy trailed behind me.

Vince... dead? I couldn't even stand the thought of it. I collapsed onto the ground, sitting on the curb and balling. Tommy rushed over to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"It's gonna be okay Heid, I promise. We're all gonna get through this." He said, rocking me back and forth.

As I was sitting on the stoop, crying my eyes out in Tommy's arms, I saw a flash of light out of the corner of my eyes.

"Shit," Tommy mumbled, before saying we should go back inside.

I looked up and saw reporters with cameras and microphones approaching us. Are you fucking kidding me? Tommy helped me up and we hurriedly started walking back toward the door.

"Tommy, is Vince dead?!" One of them yelled.

"Will Nikki be facing any charges for driving under the influence!?"

"Is Mötley Crüe over??!" Another one yelled and then I swiveled on the heels of my feet and turned to face them.

"Shut the f-" I started, but Tommy put his hand over my mouth and stopped me, spinning me back around and pushing me through the door.

"Don't give them the satisfaction," he mumbled as we rejoined the group and Heather shot over to my side.

"The doctor's said they've got about two more hours in surgery until we'll know anything, so we have to sit and wait. Do you need anything? Some food? Or water?" Heather asked, her usual maternal instincts kicking in.

I couldn't tell if I was hungry or thirsty. I couldn't feel anything. I just felt numb. Like I was living in a dream. I shook my head and walked over to the nearest chair. Thankfully on the other end of the waiting room from Nikki, who was bent over staring at the ground.

We waited for what felt like days. I would check the clock only to see that it'd been a few minutes, rather than a few hours. I hadn't cried. Or spoken. Or anything. I'd just sat and stared at the clock, waiting for good news or bad news or anything at all. The radio silence was killing me.

All of a sudden the doors to the OR swung open and a man in blue scrubs walked into the room. We all shot up out of our seats and raced over to him.

"Ms. Mark?" He said looking between Heather and I for clarification.

"That's me..." I said shakily and stepped forward.

"About Mr. Neil..." He started and my heart sank.