Part 38: Truth's Out

The phone clattered to the ground and my hand flew up to cover my gaping mouth. Without even thinking, I stood up from the stool and made a bee line for the front door.

"Heidi...? Heidi!" Vince called and I could hear his footsteps behind me.

I wanted to burst in to tears... or scream... or both. But I knew I couldn't do either inside of this crowded bar.

As soon as I made it outside and the cool air hit my face I could feel my shallow breathing get a little steadier. I didn't get maybe ten feet from the entrance when a big hand wrapped around my arm and turned me around. Vince was on the other side, looking down at me frantically and breathing heavy after having ran after me.

"What the hell is going on?" He said, bending down to be eye level with me and flashing a worried look.

"-I... I..." I started, struggling to find the words that I needed to say.

"I don't know how to tell you this... and I know I should've told you sooner..." I said meekly, breaking my gaze from his brown eyes and looking at the ground.

Sensing the seriousness of the conversation, Vince let go of my arm and took a step back, bracing himself for whatever was about to come out of my mouth.

"Remember those notes that I thought were from you... then I thought they were from Mrs. Betty..." I said, peaking back up to see his face contort into even more confusion.

"Yeah..." he said blankly, waiting for me to continue.

"Well, they weren't. From Mrs. Betty, I mean..." I said, unsure of where to go next. I was getting more and more anxious and could feel my throat closing up. I took a step back and leaned against the brick building behind me to try and steady myself.

"Well who were they from?" Vince asked, stepping closer to where I was now standing.

".... I don't kno-" I started before Vince hurriedly interrupted me, still not understanding what was going on.

"What do you mean you don't kn-" He began, but I suddenly heard myself shouting over him.

"I don't know!! I don't know who they're from! And I got one today!" I yelled as my frustration came to a point. I startled myself... and I think Vince too who was looking back at me like a deer in headlights. I realized that I'd never actually yelled at him before, but I didn't even feel bad... I still didn't really feel anything. Like I was in a dream or something.

I pulled the crumbled up note that Doc had handed me earlier out of my pocket and gave it to Vince. He unfolded it and began to read it. A chill shot down my spin as I played back the words that he was reading in my head.

"I can't wait to see you again, I think about it every day."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes and was trying my hardest to not let them spill over. Vince's hands began to shake as he kept staring down at the note, not saying anything.

"Heidi, these were in your apartment..." he said slowly, looking up from the note and over to me. I could see he was clenching his jaw and his breathing had picked up slightly.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell me about this!" He shouted back.

I broke my eyes away from his and looked down at the ground, struggling even harder to keep myself from sobbing.

"Jesus, Heidi. What the fuck!" He yelled again, throwing the note down and spinning around on his heels so that his back was facing me.

Seeing Vince turn away was all it took for any self control I had to crumble. Tears streamed down my face as I slid down the wall that I was leaning up against and sat on the concrete.

Vince took a few steps forward and slammed his fist into a stop sign that was standing on the corner of the street. It was so loud when his fist connected with the metal that for a split second I forgot about my problems and worried about whether or not his hand was okay.

Apparently it was, because he drew his fist back again and punched the sign a second time before looking over his shoulder and noticing me sitting on the ground.

As soon as he saw me, his face softened and he walked straight over to where I was sitting and knelt down on the sidewalk in front of me. He reached over and pulled me in for a hug, grabbing the back of my head with one of his hands and gently rubbing my hair.

"I'm sorry, I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at myself, I'm supposed to keep you safe..." he said into my ear, pausing for a second before continuing.

"But how am I supposed to keep you safe if I don't know what's going on?" He asked.

I couldn't even form words, I just sobbed into him as he held me. It felt so good to finally be letting this out to Vince, I thought I could've stayed there, in that one moment, forever... until I saw lights flashing.

Fuckkk, the paparazzi

"Jesus fucking Christ..." Vince mumbled, as he stood up and pulled me up with him. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into him, walking us over to the edge of the sidewalk to hail a cab.

Once we got into the cab, I laid my head down in Vince's lap and continued to cry as he started to stroke my hair.

"Hey... it's okay..." he said reassuringly, "... what happened on the phone, baby?"

My breath caught in my throat as I remembered why I was telling Vince all of this in the first place. I sat up so I could look him in the eyes before speaking.

"I-I got the Vogue cover and-"

"Heidi, holy fuck! That's insane! ... Right?" Vince asked, smiling but furrowing his brows in confusion.

"...yeah, but-but the shoot is in LA. I'll have to stay for a whole week, back in my apartment, back whe-" I started to say before I began to cry again, putting my head into my hands so Vince couldn't see my face.

"Heidi-I... I'll go with you, I'll make sure you're okay- we'll figure something-" Vince began rambling, grabbing my wrists and trying to pull them away from my face so that I would look back up at him.

"Vince, you have shows every night! You can't come with me! You can't be with me all the time!" I shouted, tears still streaming down my face.

"Fuck!" Vince shouted clenching his fists and slamming one against the car door.

We sat in silence for a few seconds and I laid my head on his shoulder as he stared forward, clenching his jaw.

"I'm not letting you go back to your apartment, not if you found those letters in there." He said calmly.

I popped my head back up and looked over at him, confused.

"Vince, where am I gonn-"

"-Move in with me." He asked, his eyes meeting mine hopefully.