Chapter 47: In Trouble

My heart sank as I stared out of the glass windows of the lobby and watched a cab pull up.... and the same man, with the same hat, get out...

———————————————————————————

I whipped my head back around to see the doors opening in front of me. I was frozen for a second, staring inside of the empty elevator and trying to weigh my options. I could feel myself trembling from fear already and I decided that I was tired of it.

There was a much better chance of staying safe with all of these people around rather than if I go up to my room alone... maybe that's exactly what he wants me to do? I thought to myself, before glancing back around to see the man standing in the corner casually.

I gathered up all of the courage I had and made a beeline for where he was standing. My knees felt more and more like jello with each step, but I kept walking. The guy was staring out of the lobby windows before he turned his head and noticed me coming his direction. He immediately turned and headed for the door and I picked my pace up to a jog.

"Hey!" I shouted, trying to take control of the situation while there were so many people around. The guy kept walking, keeping his head down without even acknowledging my yelling.

I finally caught up with him and reached a hand up to grab his shoulder and turn him around to face me. I could feel my heart practically beating out of my chest, but I wanted to put an end to this thing now before it got any worse.

"I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but-" I began to lay into him, but stopped once he turned around and I got a good look at his face.

"James?" I asked, my jaw dropping open as I said it.

"Uh- Hi, Ms. Mark. I-I'm so sorry to scare you, I didn't think you'd notice me." He said calmly and courteously.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked, still confused.

"Mr. Neil called me and asked if I'd catch the first flight over. He said you wouldn't be expecting me and to just lay low and make sure you were alright..." James said, looking guilty for ratting on Vince.

"I'm gonna kill him," I said, breathing a sigh of relief and spinning back around to walk toward the elevators.

"Ms. Mark, he just wanted to make sure you're okay! I apologize!" James pleaded from behind me. I could tell he was genuinely upset for pissing me off, being as gentlemanly as he was. I felt bad for walking away from him, but all I could focus on was how angry I was with Vince for going behind my back like this.

As soon as I got into my room, I dialed the hotel phone number and waiting anxiously for Vince to pick up.

"Hello?" He asked innocently and I immediately began tearing into him.

"Vince, what the fuck? I told you I didn't need James. I don't need someone watching over me 24-fucking-7. I'm not a child!" I shouted into the phone.

He was silent for a second, probably taken aback to be bombarded like this. But when he began talking I could hear the regret in his voice.

"Heids, I'm sorry. I know you're not a child, I just wanted to know you'd be safe." He shot back.

"And having him sneak around like that? You scared the shit out of me!" I yelled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd notice. I thought-"

"Thought that you'd never have to tell me? Thought that you'd just have someone secretly follow me around everywhere I went from now on like the fucking FBI?" I asked sarcastically, daring him to answer.

"H-Heidi, I was just trying to keep you safe. I hate you being alone-" he started, before I angrily began speaking over him.

"I was alone before I met you and I was perfectly fine." I said, my voice catching in my throat as I heard how harsh it sounded.

There was silence on his end of the line and I bit my tongue, cursing myself for being mean even in the middle of an argument.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just-" I began talking before he cut me off.

"No, it's fine. I fucked up. Won't happen again." Vince said shortly and I could tell he was mad too... for some reason, him being mad while I was the one who was supposed to be mad only infuriated me more.

"Whatever, I'll talk to you later." I said coldly, hanging up the phone before he could say anything else.

I plopped down on the bed and stared up at the ceiling with angry tears welling up in my eyes. I wasn't even that mad at him, I knew he meant well. I just couldn't believe he'd go behind my back like that after I told him no. And what was his plan? To have James be my permanent shadow from now until who knows when? Whether I know he's there or not?

I could feel myself getting more and more angry again just from thinking about it... but I was also angry at myself. I shouldn't have been so mean to him. I'm not used to this whole relationship thing, I wasn't thinking about Vince or his feelings... I just got pissed and reacted... maybe I was a little harsh on him...

I mean, he knows I don't actually mean that I'm better off alone. He knows I was just heated and said the wrong thing... at least, I hope so anyway.

I started to feel my anger mixing with regret and disappointment in myself. It was the worst combination of emotions, all I wanted to do was curl up into a little ball and stay there forever.

Half of me wanted to call Vince back to apologize and the other half expected him to call me back and apologize. I knew I was too stubborn to actually do it... and that he was too stubborn to actually do it too, so I might as well just go to bed and deal with it when I see him tomorrow.

Before I did, I decided to get up and peak out of the door to see if James might be lurking around somewhere. Sure enough, he was sitting against the wall in front of my room with his eyes closed.

"Psst, James?" I whispered loudly. His eyes shot open and he popped up on his feet, pretending to be awake and alert.

"Uh yes ma'am?" He asked back, staring at the ground guiltily.

"Do you wanna sleep on the couch inside? Just because I'm pissed at Vince doesn't mean I'm pissed at you." I said softly, hoping I hadn't been too mean when I'd yelled at him earlier.

He shot me a smile and nodded his head innocently, making his way through the door and over to the couch.

——————————————————————————

After waking up and having James escort me to the train station, I finally made it back to the hotel in New York. I braced myself for what was to come, still unsure about whether I should be mad at Vince or be apologizing to him.

I took a deep breath before twisting the door handle and walking in. My breathe caught in my throat and my heart sank when I saw-