Chapter 40: Back to LA

I put my arm around her shoulder and pulled her into me as we listened to the chorus.

"Do you remember that night..." I started to ask, before she cut me off, smacking my chest.

"Of course I remember that night. That's when you told me you loooooved me." She said with a smirk, drawing out the word to tease me.

"Shut up! If I remember correctly you practically attacked me afterwards. Jumped on me and ripped my clothes off," I teased back.

"As if! It was totally the other way around!" She giggled, still watching Steven finish up the song.

"Next band, line up! One song left on this set, then showtime!" Someone from backstage yelled.

"Come on, let's get outta the way," I said as I spun us around, my arm still draped across her shoulder. She reached up and grabbed my hand with hers, looking over at me with stars in her eyes.

"That was sweet, Vince. Thank you," she said, batting her eyelashes.

I grinned down at her, proud of what I'd done and she slid a hand up the side of my face and pulled my cheek down to her lips.

"If it isn't the two love birds... Come to watch a real singer, Heidi?" I heard down the hallway, from one very particular, very annoying, voice.

I felt Heidi's grip on my hand tighten and she tried to speed up the pace we were walking at, to get us passed him faster.

Without even thinking, all of the anger that I'd had bottled up from last night and earlier today came to a boil and I let go of Heidi and grabbed a hold of Axl's shirt, slamming him up against the wall and shoving my elbow up against his neck to hold him there.

He looked startled and wide eyed at first, but then quickly changed to a smile when he saw Heidi and his band mates watching the situation unfold.

"Listen to me, I'm sick and tired of you bullshitting around like this when all of these people are around and you know I can't do anything about it. If you want problems, meet me outside and I'll show you a fucking problem... but until then-" I growled, inches away from his face.

"Last call: Guns N Roses, take your places, on in 30 seconds!" A voice yelled down the hallway.

I pinned my elbow against his neck tighter, "-don't fucking speak to her. Don't speak about her. Forget her fucking name, do I make myself clear?" I said, still not letting him go.

"DO I?" I shouted, shoving him tighter against the wall, waiting for an answer.

"10 seconds!" The voice yelled again.

"...Vince," Heidi pleaded from behind me.

I stared at him for a second and let him go in one quick motion, backing up and rejoining Heidi. He rubbed his throat and shot me a nasty look before turning and walking toward the stage.

"He gets me so fucking wound up," I said, walking a few steps ahead of Heidi.

"Don't let him get to you, he's just a little shit." She said, grabbing my arm with both of hers to try and calm me down.

———————————————————————————

Two days later

"Call me when you get back to my place, babe. You've got the hotel number, right?" I asked nervously, shutting the car door behind her as she stepped out.

"Yes, Vince! I'll be fine, I promise. Heather's gonna come over and talk my head off about wedding plans anyways, so I won't be alone." She said, giving me a reassuring smile as she spoke.

"I know... you sure I can't cancel my shows and come with you?" I said, half as a joke and half seriously.

Heidi reached up and grabbed the collar of my shirt, pulling me down closer to her.

"I'll see you in a week, don't worry about me," she whispered into my ear, sliding her hand up the side of my face. I sighed and frowned back at her, poking my lip out into a pout.

She let out a little chuckle and raised up on her tiptoes to give me a kiss. As soon as she started to pull away I wrapped my arms around her and drew her in closer.

After a few long kisses, she pulled away again and I tightened my grip on her. She threw her head back and laughed, as I kissed her chin and jawline.

"Vince, I have to go! I'm gonna miss my plane!" She shouted, giggling and struggling against my arms.

"I'm not letting you go, sorry," I said mischievously.

"Seriously!!" She squealed again, beating her fists lightly against my back.

"Alright, alright... I'll see you in a week," I said, reluctantly releasing her.

"I love you," she said, blowing me a kiss before she turned to walk away.

"I love you," I said quietly as I watched her go.

——————————————————————————-

Heidi's POV

I walked up the stairs to Vince's apartment and was greeted by a huge, muscular man standing in front of his door. He had to be at least 6'4" and 250 pounds and he was dressed in a black suit. When he saw me, his straight faced demeanor faded into a soft smile and he stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"Hi Ms. Mark, I'm James. Your security detail." He said with a big smile, which looked almost odd in contrast with all of his serious features.

"Um, hi James... security detail?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Uh... yes ma'am, Mr. Neil requested that I be with you 24/7 while you're in LA." He began and paused when he saw one of my eyebrows cock up in curiosity.

"Y-You won't notice I'm here, I'll stand outside and I'll follow ten feet behind if you leave." He said reassuringly, nodded his head as he spoke.

"Well, um, thanks James. Let me know if you need anything, I guess?" I said as more of a question than a statement as he stepped to the side and allowed me to walk passed him and into the apartment.

As soon as I opened the door and flipped on the lights, I noticed the countertop covered in flowers. There were four different vases full of wild flowers stood in a line on the kitchen counter, along with a note written on bright pink paper. I was relieved that it wasn't a white envelope... and that it was Vince's familiar chicken scratch writing scrawled on the page.

Hurry back, it read. I smiled and pulled it close to my chest, thinking of how ready I was to see Vince even though I'd only left him a few hours ago.

I had no clue he was hiring some body guard, he was so ridiculous some times... but I was kind of glad to have someone with me while I was here. I definitely felt safer and I was mentally thanking Vince for that, even though I knew I'd never admit it to him.

——————————————————————————
Vince's POV

Two days later

"Tommy said you were looking for me?" I said as I walked into Doc's hotel room.

"Yeah... about what you said last week. I got another letter addressed to Heidi in you guys' fan mail. You want it?" He said casually.