Chapter 101: Fighter

Vince's POV

I leapt over the back of my couch and went into my room to grab the phone, being annoyed every time I had to walk in here to answer it since the one in the kitchen was still destroyed.

"Hello?" I asked, glancing over at the clock and seeing that it was only 9pm.

"Vince. It's Sheriff Pasco. It's about Heidi." A familiar voice said quickly into the phone, causing my entire body to tense up immediately. I could feel my heart in my throat and it was all I could do to mumble out a response.

"She's been found. She's over in San Bern-"

"Is she okay?" I interrupted, still holding my breath as I waited for the other shoe to drop.

"Yes, she's totally fine. Two guys found her coming out of the woods, said she was a little banged up but looked okay. Listen, she's on the way to Valley View hospital, I've got a patrol car-"

"Hospital??" I asked, feeling foggy as a million thoughts raced through my head at once. Why is she going to the hospital and not the police station?

But... but she's okay, she's alive?? And coming out of the woods? In San Bernardino?

And... and BANGED UP?? I swear I will fucking kill this guy if she's hurt.

...Is it really her? What if it's not, I can't get my hopes up like this?

"Don't worry, just routine. Gotta get her checked out. Look, it's fifteen minutes from you. If you leave now you can make it there about the same time as her. There was a patrol car already in your neighborhood, so I called him in. He should be waiting for you downst-"

I didn't even wait for him to finish his sentence. The phone dropped out of my hand and I was halfway out the door when I heard it hit the ground. I raced down the stairs, hopped in the cop car and in an instant we were speeding off down the street with the sirens on. I felt like was like I was in a dream, stuff was happening so fast around me but I was so dazed.

My heart was pounding. I knew I should maybe feel excited? Or relieved or something... but I still felt like I wouldn't be able to breath until I laid eyes on her.

We zoomed through traffic, driving down the shoulder and swerving in and out of cars. I gripped onto the handle nervously and stared out the window, noticing that it'd started to rain.

What if it is really Heidi... what if she's back, she's all mine again. Everything can go back to the way it was... I thought, allowing myself to actually feel happiness for a split second before my mind wandered again.

But... what the fuck has she been through? What if it's not the same, what if she's not the same?  What if he hurt her... what if he touched her or tried to-

I slammed my eyes shut, unable to even think about something like that happening to her. I could feel my jaw clenching at how badly I wanted to get my hands on this guy... I wonder if they'd just give me a few seconds alone with him, that's all I'd need...

"Hey, what happened to the guy that did all this? Is he at the police station?" I asked, hoping I could get some useful info... but then feeling my heart sinking even further down into my stomach when he replied.

"Uh... we don't know. Really we don't know much, I mean this is all kinda unraveling right now. Normally, you wouldn't even be allowed to be here but Sheriff knows how torn up you've been so he wanted to at least let you meet her at the hospital." He said, concentrating on the road as the rain had picked up and started to pour.