Chapter 48: Zombie Dust

Vince's POV

I'd just left Tommy's room and headed to mine to go get dressed for the bar. We'd been watching  the game and drinking all afternoon and now Nikki wanted to liven the night up a bit and go downtown.

I heard the phone ringing as soon as I opened the door to my room and sprinted over to the bed to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked excitedly, hoping it was Heidi.

"Vince, what the fuck? I told you I didn't need James. I don't need someone watching over me 24-fucking-7. I'm not a child!" She shouted into the phone.

I was silent for a second, thinking that it was weird for Heidi to be angry... so I knew I must have really fucked up.

"Heids, I'm sorry. I know you're not a child, I just wanted to know you'd be safe." I finally shot back after some time.

"And having him sneak around like that? You scared the shit out of me!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd notice. I thought-"

"Thought that you'd never have to tell me? Thought that you'd just have someone secretly follow me around everywhere I went from now on like the fucking FBI?" She asked sarcastically, daring me to answer.

"H-Heidi, I was just trying to keep you safe. I hate you being alone-" I started, before she angrily began speaking over me.

"I was alone before I met you and I was perfectly fine." She said, my jaw clenching at how harsh it sounded coming out of her mouth.

I couldn't believe she just said that. I get that what I did was wrong, but damn that was cold. Her getting angry, or scared, and completely shutting me out was such a shitty fucking defensive mechanism.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just-" She began talking to break the silence before I cut her off.

"No, it's fine. I fucked up. Won't happen again." I said shortly. I knew that me being mad was only gonna add fuel to the fire, but I genuinely was hurt that she would say that.

"Whatever, I'll talk to you later." She said coldly, hanging up the phone before I could say anything else.

I stared at the phone in my hand before slamming it down on the hook. Fuckkkk dude, I'd handled that bad. I was in the wrong. I fucked up. But now we're both pissed at each other and hundreds of miles away. What a shitty combo.

I picked the phone back up and started to redial her number... but then hung it up again. I didn't really know who owed who an apology, I just knew that I felt like an ass and that the last thing I wanted was for her to be mad with me.

I decided that it'd be better to just smooth things out in person when she got back tomorrow morning, so I got up, got dressed and moped my way back over to Tommy's room.

"Fuck's wrong with you, sour puss?" Tommy shouted as he took one look at my face and then continued to cut the line of white powder in front of him.

"Nothing." I said blankly, grabbing a beer and sitting down.

"I know what you need," Tommy said mischievously and I felt my eyes roll almost instinctually. I looked over at him with an unimpressed look and cocked my eyebrow curiously.