Chapter 66: Wrong Number

Heidi's POV

"Chase, I'm sorry. It's just that Vince-" I started to say before he erupted.

"DON'T even say his name!!" He shouted as he twisted around and pushed me off him... I fell to the floor and looked up at him with my mouth agape.

"Oh my god, Heidi. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-" Chase said, trying to crouch down to help me up.

"Get away from me!" I shouted, scooting back out of his reach and getting up on my own.

I immediately headed for the door with Chase following behind me, apologizing profusely. As soon as I threw the door open to leave, he lunged forward, placing his arm above my head and slamming the door shut with his body weight. My hand rested on the handle and I looked up at him sternly.

"Move. I'm going home." I said, standing my ground.

"Heidi, you're being dramatic." He said back, still pushed up against the door.

"Chase, if you don't let me out right now I'll scream." I said back, knowing it was kinda dramatic but honestly... I was a little scared.

"Heidi." He said, almost rolling his eyes.

I decided to see if he'd call my bluff, so I opened my mouth and took in a big puff of air like I was about to scream... Before I could, he stood up off the door and as soon as he did, I flung it open and started down the hallway.

"Heidi! Come on, you're overreacting!" He shouted at me, but I was already walking down the steps.

Once I'd gotten into a cab, I could finally breathe... and finally process everything that'd just gone down.

I guess he hadn't really hit me or anything... but he raised his voice and sounded so angry and then all of a sudden I was on the ground. It happened so fast I couldn't hardly even remember exactly how... all I knew was it scared the shit out of me...

I could feel my chest getting tight and my breathing turn shallow. I felt tears start to form in my eyes and stream down my face as I struggled to stay calm. As soon as the cab parked in front of my apartment, I threw open the door and sprinted out, running up the stairs.

Once I'd gotten inside, I slammed the front door shut behind me, checking a few times to make sure it was locked. I turned around and leaned my back against the door, sliding down until I was sitting on the ground. I grabbed my knees and pulled them into my chest, trying to steady my breathing as I started to cry.

I don't know why I was so freaked out. Maybe I was just drunk... but I'd felt so... helpless? When he'd yelled at me, I felt so small. And when he'd thrown me on the floor, it was so easy for him. Even if it was an accident, it hardly took any strength for him to throw me to the floor. It just made me feel so... weak. Like I couldn't have done anything to stop him. It was terrifying.

I knew, deep down, I mean wayyyy deep down, because I didn't even want the thought to cross my mind... it was one of those things you know you're thinking, but don't even wanna put the thought into words because that would just make it grow.

I hadn't thought about it in ages, I tried to push it down because it scared me worse than anything to think about... it made me feel exactly like I did right now. Helpless... weak... and fucking terrified.