The Buddy System

I moved to the next couch. Our couch.

"Can I sit?" I asked politely, trying to break the ice.

"I'd rather you didn't but I don't have a choice do I." He snaps not looking up at me.

"Of course you do." I waved my wand and conjure a cushion on the floor taking a seat on it.

Draco looks at me for a minute. "I could have done that."

"I'm sure you could have but you didn't need to. Besides it's me that needed a seat. Not you."

"My mother would have a fit if she saw you on the floor. Swap." He finally catches my eye.

"No I am fine."

"I wasn't asking."

"And I am not listening."

He scoffs at that and starts to play on the hem of his trouser leg which is balancing on the other.

"Well are you going to talk?" He asks.

"What would you like me to say?"

"How should I know? McGonagall says we have to talk."

"And why would I want to talk to someone who has zero interest in me or what I have to say?"

"I'm in the same boat."

There is another few minutes of silence. The hall is overcome with people chatting. I looked to Blaise and Harry to actually see them laughing.

Ginny and Pansy are at the other side of you and Draco. They seem to be at least making an effort you notice as I hear Pansy compliment Ginny's hair and ask about her family.

I know I can't sit here and sulk for an hour as the professors were walking around the hall checking in on each duo.

Suck it up Raeyln.

"I saw your mother earlier at the station."

Draco's head shot up and he looked at me with his nostrils flared. "And what?" He demanded.

"She is very beautiful." I say shyly.

He looks sceptical. "Oh...ah...yes she is."

"You look like her."

He smirks at me as my face pales. Did I actually just say that?

"Did you just call me beautiful Diggory?"

"Well...I mean you are good looking. And by gosh don't you know it. But your handsome. When you aren't being a complete asshole, that is."

"Sod off Diggory."

"Well your mother is beautiful. She seems to love you very much. You're very lucky."

"Are you serious? Do you know who my father is? Do you know what I have had to do? Where the hell have you been these last few years!" He temper was rising again.

"I never mentioned your father did I? I said you were lucky your mother loves you. And for your information I have been right here. In the same school as you. In the same year, even the same classes for the last 7 years. We have met before, maybe you don't remember? And I have seen you around school. I see a lot more than people think."

"Like what then?"

"Like you. I saw you during 6th year. I saw how broken you were. How much what was happening to you affected you."

"You know nothing."

"Really? I saw a boy who had absolutely no choice in any of his decisions. I didn't know exactly what was happening. Only that he seemed...lost. He had no one. No one to talk to. No one to confide in and listen to him. You pretend that you are this tough guy Draco but I can see that it's not who you really are. Not who you want to be. Not anymore at least. Remember our little meeting last time? You told me. But I also know that old habits die hard and you're still being a bit of a dick and pushing everyone away."