Preparations for Arrival

With a faint pop we arrived outside my house. It was midnight by now. I popped open the latch on the gate and held it open for Kingsley to step through. 

"You have a beautiful home," he smiled.

"Thank you. It didn't look like this when I bought it. The flowers I planted myself and I painted the shutters too."

"It is amazing. You have done very well for yourself."

"Well I didn't have much of a choice. Plus the stipulations of the trust fund set up for us meant that when Cedric died I got his half as well along with money from my mother which should have went to us both when she died. And my grandfather.  I was lucky."

As we stopped outside the front door, I pushed the button to my right on the wall. The door opened with a click and a small house elf peaked her head out into the darkness. 

"Hello," she muttered.

"Ah Trixie," Kingsley smiled.

"Oh hello Minister." She said as she opened the door further. "I was expecting you. M..M..Mr Dorkins just dropped me off."

"I know. This is the owner of the house Raelyn Diggory."

I stepped forward and held out my hand. She looked at me awkwardly for a few seconds and the shook it. "Miss Diggory I is so pleased to be meeting you."

"It's nice to meet you too Trixie." I smiled at her.

We stepped into my front hall. The wooden floors creaked under our feet. I stepped into the living room. I lifted my wand and the sheets that were covering the furniture disappeared along with the dust.

As I did Trixie began to clean. I had never had a real house elf to see how they work but she moved with lightening speed as she dusted and brushed the room. What would have taken about 2 hours took Trixie 10 minutes.

She then disappeared only to arrive back in with tea and biscuits. 

I looked at her confused. Where did she get these? I got rid of all perishable foods before school. Anything in the kitchen HAD to be off.

"How did you-"

"I took the liberty of ordering you groceries for the holiday period." Kingsley smiled.

"I will of course repay you."

"Not at all. It is my pleasure. My wife also cooked a few meals in the fridge for you girls."

He just smiled as if it were an obvious thing to do.  He looked around the living room smiling to himself.

My house wasn't exactly small but it was by no means a mansion. The living room in particular had very high ceilings and connected to the kitchen via a large barn sliding door but there was also what looked to be a window cut out which had been turned into a bar table so I could see the kitchen from the living room.

 In my living room there was a grand fireplace with a corner sofa and two armchairs surrounding it. I even had a television installed.

One thing you need to understand about wizard houses is that they are built by magic. You hire a contractor who comes out and does everything over the space of a few days.

It was a simple process. I showed and told him what I wanted and he made it happen.

And I was in love with the outcome.