Can't Sleep

The following morning I was up and dressed at the crack of dawn. Another random chest pain was stopping my sleep. But today was the first day of lessons so it made sense I would be nervous.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to classes but the sooner I got it over with, the sooner I could come back here and read.

I opened my window a crack, thankful for the high sill. It sounded stupid but I was terrified Bleu would try to parkour his way put of the window.

I made my way down to the entrance. It was still way too early for breakfast so I thought I could maybe go for a walk or sit out by the lake.

The morning was surprisingly warm. I made my way down the front steps and out into the grounds. All was very quiet and beautiful.

I made my way along the pathway to the Black lake and sat down on the grass. The water was perfectly still. I leaned forward and ran my fingers along its surface. Watching as the ripples moved I thought of my brother.

As I often did.

He used to tell me this was his favourite place in the school. I would often find him here.

Flashback

Teeny, Azaleah and I had just finished lunch one sunny Saturday afternoon. We were heading outside to soak up and much sunshine as possible.

"Well hello stranger. What are you three up to out here? Causing mayhem?" Cedric looked over to us with his mates standing behind him.

"Hi Ced. Hey guys." I smile at everyone.

Cedric sits down next to me. "So why do I get the feeling my sister is avoiding me?"

"I'm not. I'm just worried about the next task. You got past the dragon through the skin of your teeth. You need to be more careful."

He wraps an arm around me. "Aw is my little sis worried for me?"

"You know I am."

"And I love you for it," he kisses my forehead.

Lucas, a friend of Cedric's, sat next to me as I sat with my sketchbook and pencil.

"Wow that's so good Raelyn. You have quite the gift."

"Thanks Lucas." I smiled at him.

"Maybe you can draw me sometime," he winks.

"Dude are you flirting with my sister?"

"Maybe," he winks at me again.

"Well stop it before I rearrange your face."

Teeny giggles, leaning back against the tree. "You ready for the next task Cedric?"

"I figured out what the egg is saying."

"That screeching sound is actually words?" Azaleah asks.

"Yeah it's a rhyme. Now I just need to figure out what it means."

"You will do it. If anyone can you can," Azaleah smiles.

"Thanks Aza," Cedric smiles at her.

"So have you asked Cho to the dance yet?" Teeny asks.

"How did you - Raelyn!"

"What? It's obvious!"

He gave a chuckle. "I'm working on it. Merlin Raelyn I think you know me better than I know myself."

"I do that's why."