Pain!

"I know. I was actually totally ready to let him go because I wanted him to be happy. I was trying to make him see sense and I knew he wasn't really listening. So I gave up. I told him that more than anything I wanted to see him happy and if he was happier without me then I would suck it up. But then he asked me to marry him and I suddenly had this realisation."

"What?"

"That I never felt this way for Dean or Wren. I was with Wren for two years and I have felt more these last few months with Draco than I ever have. That damn fool has me. Completely. I would do anything for him and I couldn't be without him. I love him Azaleah and then I thought - why wait? I love him, he loves me so that is all that matters. Plus tomorrow is not promised so why wait?" She gave me a look I had never seen before. "And I can tell that I probably sound like a crazy person so I am going to shut up."

She laughed at me and hugged me, sighing heavily. "I am so jealous of you. You know exactly how Draco feels about you. I wish I knew how Theo felt about me."

"What are you talking about? Theo loves you."

"I am not so sure anymore. I have changed Raelyn since I was sent to Azkaban. Little noises terrify me, I hate to be alone. I get worried and nervous over the floorboards creaking. I have nightmares. I am tired ALL THE TIME. I have scars both emotional and physical from the battle. I am a mess and I am a lot to deal with. Theo has been patient but I can tell he is getting antsy. And I don't blame him at all. It must be hard having a girlfriend who is damaged goods."

Azaleah stood there looking down at her feet. Her oversized sweatshirt and leggings were hanging off her bony little frame. She looked so helpless. The bunny slippers she was sorting did nothing to help the situation.

I pulled her over to the couch and made her sit down next to me. I slowly (and painfully) turned my body so I was facing her. 

"You listen to me. You are NOT damaged goods. What happened to you was horrific. You are allowed time to heal. You have been doing brilliantly since weaning off your vials. Truly you are a little miracle and I have never been more proud of you."

She gave a sniff and looked up to me with big puppy dog eyes brimming with tears. "I am sorry. You come home with news that you are engaged and I am crying about the fact that I am no longer locked in Azkaban. What is wrong with me?"

"Absolutely nothing," came Draco's  voice from the doorway. "Sorry I was in the hallway trying to give you two some alone time but I have to jump in. Azaleah what you have been through I can only imagine. Actually I don't want to imagine. But you are doing extremely well."

He sat down behind me and gently, by the elbows, pulled me back into his chest before continuing. 

"You need to give yourself time to heal. Time to come to terms with everything. Do you remember when you first got the mark and your parents made you stay at Malfoy Manor so that my mother and I could help you?"

She nodded. 

"You were so terrified but everytime a Death Eater came in to check on us, you puffed out your chest and held your head high. You wouldn't let them see your weakness. Not like me, I was a mess. You are braver and stronger than you think."

She gave half a smile.

"And as for Theo, he worships the ground you walk on. He was willing to wait 10 years on you when you were sentenced. He started your appeal and did most of the work for it. He even offered to show Rae his memory of that night because he wanted her to see that you were innocent. He took the Cruciatus Curse from you so you wouldn't have to perform it on others and feel guilty. That boy loves you, hook, line and sinker. There is no one else for him and there never will be. He has told me so himself on many, many, many occasions."