Four

Today is going to be a good day, because I was put on Dr. Shepherd's service. I felt good about being on his service.

I'm standing next to Dr. Bailey at a meeting in front of the OR board.

Webber: and to make sure this was the right decision, I have enlisted one of our own to do a trial run for the last month. Dr. Sloan.

Mark: I know what you're all thinking. It's a machine. It doesn't know me. It doesn't know what I like. But after using this new system for the past month, I gotta say, people, I'm a convert. This computer knows me better than I know me.

Derek: Chief, this thing has rearranged my schedule for the entire week. I mean, haven't we had enough change here already?

Webber: change is good, everyone. Embrace it.

Everyone starts dispersing.

Bailey: you two need to stop bickering. It's unattractive.

I chuckle at Bailey's comment.

Derek: Yang, Collins, you're with me. Yang, prep my patient. Collins, help me out with scans.

I walk alongside Dr. Shepherd to the x-ray room.

Savannah: I just want to say thank you for putting me on your service this week, Dr. Shepherd. I'm excited to learn from you.

Derek: I'm excited to teach you. And, please, call me Derek. I like you. I've seen how you work around here, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with you.

I smile at Dr. Shepherd.

Savannah: thank you.

Derek brings up the scans and we look at them together.

Isaac: Dr. Shepherd.

I turn around and smile at the lab tech, Isaac.

Derek: Isaac, if you don't stop calling me Dr. Shepherd, I'm seriously gonna have to cut you off.

Isaac: right. Forgot. Derek.

Derek: thanks.

Isaac: I have your scans, Derek.

Derek: I didn't order any scans.

Isaac: I think they're for a consult, but I can come back if your busy.

Derek: no, it's okay.

Isaac placed the scans against the light, and my eyes grow wide.

Savannah: holy sweet mother Mary. That is gorgeous.

Derek chuckles at me.

Derek: Dr. Collins, can you tell me what this is?

Savannah: it's a tumor on the spinal cord. Possibly a hemangioblastoma.

Derek: correct.

Isaac: you've seen one before?

Derek: not this big. You see how the tumor has worked its way up to the spine? It's taken over the blood supply.

Savannah: it's the perfect tumor.

Derek: you're right, Dr. Collins. You know if the patient still has leg function?

Isaac: yes.

Derek: incredible.

Savannah: he shouldn't be walking. He should be paralyzed. Or dead.

Isaac: you'd have to operate quickly then, to take the tumor out?

Derek: oh, I'd love to operate on this. But, no. No, you have to cut the cord, paralyze the patient, to kill the tumor. Who's the doctor on this one?