Sixty Six

I'm in the bathroom washing my face while Jackson was brushing his teeth.

Savannah: the judge is making a decision today.

Jackson: you ready for that?

Savannah: I don't know. It was never about the money for me. All I wanted to do was do the right thing for us. But we're suing our hospital. We're suing our home. It feels wrong, bub.

Jackson: I know, gorgeous. But you never meant for this to happen. You were trying to get justice. You wanted justice for your friends and family. You can't blame yourself for that.

I let out a shaky breath as Jackson pulls me into a hug.

Jackson: you can do this, love.

Savannah: you are the reason I've been able to keep my sanity through all this. I love you so much.

Jackson: I love you too.

Natalie walks into the bathroom.

Natalie: hey, mom. I'm heading out.

Natalie is going to Tacoma for a couple days because she got accepted to the University of Tacoma, and she's getting a tour of the campus. After the crash, she declined her offers from other places and took the offer in Tacoma so that she can stay close to me.

Natalie: are you sure you're gonna be okay while I'm gone?

Savannah: yes, I will, sweetie.

Natalie: you call me if you need me, okay? Just say the word and I'll come right back.

Savannah: no, don't worry about me. Just focus on your tour. Have fun and good luck.

I pull my daughter into a hug.

Savannah: I'm so proud of you.

Natalie: thanks, mom. Oh, and there's a couple tins of cookies on the counter from grandma. One of them's for Dr. Webber.

Jackson and I finally told mom about the baby and ever since we told her, she's been so insanely supportive. She texts me to make sure I eat, that I'm sleeping properly, and just being a great future grandmother. It all reminds me of when I got pregnant with Natalie.

Savannah: thanks, sweetie. You should get going.

Jackson: good luck, kiddo.

Jackson kisses Natalie on the forehead then she walks out of the house. Once we were done in the bathroom, I look at the cookie tins and read mom's note.

Hope my favourite girl and my precious grand baby like these cookies. You deserve them, darling. I'm in town for a case at Seattle Pres. Let me know if you want to get together. Love you, baby ❤️

-Mama C xoxo

Savannah: mom is the best.

Jackson: I hate the fact that she loves you more than me.

Savannah: you can't exactly blame her. I mean, I'm frickin' awesome.

Jackson chuckles at me.

Savannah: come on. Let's get these cookies to Webber.

Jackson and I grab our things then we make our way to the hospital. When we get to the hospital, I make my way towards the elevator.

Jackson: you call me when you need me, okay?

Savannah: I will.

I pull Jackson into a kiss.

Savannah: I love you.