143

Jackson and I are heading to Montana to see a patient at the Avery hospital. Before we make our way to the plane, we drop our kids off at mom's house.

Savannah: alright, this should be everything the kids need. Cathy, come here, babygirl.

I kneel down as Cathy comes up to me.

Savannah: mommy and daddy will only be gone for two days max. If you need us, you tell grandma and grandpa and they will call us. I want you to be a good girl for grandma and grandpa while mommy and daddy are gone, okay?

Cathy: yes, mommy!

Savannah: that's my girl. Okay, mommy and daddy have to go so give us a hug.

I smile as my daughter jumps into my arms and I hold her tight.

Savannah: mommy loves you.

Cathy: I love you, mommy.

Cathy pulls away then runs over to Jackson and gives him a hug.

Savannah: mom, please don't fight with Richard in front of the kids. Cathy is very sensitive.

Mom: of course, baby.

Jackson: thanks for watching them, mom.

Mom: of course. I'll take care of your babies, and you take care of my baby.

Savannah: I will. I'll bring him back in one piece.

Mom: maybe bring him back a little happier.

Savannah: mom! We're going to see a patient.

Mom: I'm just saying, you guys should have a little private mom and dad... bonding.

Jackson: mom, not in front of our children.

Mom: okay, you two need to get going.

Savannah: alright. One more kiss and a hug.

After multiple hugs and kisses, Jackson and I make our way to the Avery plane.

Jackson: hey, don't worry. The kids are safe with mom.

Savannah: I know. But they're my babies, I worry about them all the time. I've never spent more than a day apart from them. I have attachment issues.

Jackson: that's the reason why you're such a good mother.

Savannah: thanks, baby.

The second I see the Avery family plane, I felt my body tense up. This is the first time riding on a plane since the crash. I let out a deep breath as I take my seat next to Jackson.

Jackson: babe.

I felt Jackson take my hand in his.

Jackson: you're okay. I'm right here. You're safe with me.

Savannah: I know.

I take a few deep breaths as we prep for takeoff.

-later-

We made it to Montana, and we drive to the hospital. When we get to the hospital, we were greeted by Dr. Corridan.

Dr. Corridan: welcome, welcome. Here are your charts. Dr. Avery. Dr. Avery-Collins. Wow, two Averys. Alright, a patient and a donor– two of them here together, same time, same day, perfect match... it's like winning the lottery.

Savannah: comparing a brain-dead kid to a lottery ticket is very unbecoming of a doctor.

Dr. Corridan: of course. And it's a horrible loss. Uh, that was– I-I'm just thrilled that you're both here to make this possible. The donor patient's room is at the end of this ICU.