179

I'm sitting in Maggie's plant room as she explains to the interns the purpose of it.

Maggie: plant life improves physical well-being. It decreases anxiety and lowers blood pressure. Increases attentiveness. Parker, leave that tree by the window. I want to forget that we are in the city. This is a jungle. Dr. Avery-Collins, how are you liking it?

Savannah: I love it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I want to forget that I'm in a hospital for a while. So, adios.

Maggie chuckles as she leaves the room with the interns, then Meredith joins shortly after.

~~~~~

I'm still in the jungle room, and Alex comes in and interrupts our quiet time.

Alex: what are you doing in here?

Meredith: hey. Research. I needed a change of scenery, and, you know, I have to say, the plants are actually very soothing.

Alex: yeah, no kidding. Savannah is almost out.

Savannah: it has nothing to do with the plants. It has everything to do with the fact that I have newborn twins at home.

I was just about to drift off to sleep, but I hear my pager go off, causing me to groan.

Savannah: damn it. Hunt needs me to cover the pit.

Alex: don't fall asleep while treating patients. I don't want to deal with that lawsuit.

I chuckle at Alex as I kiss his cheek.

Savannah: don't worry, Karev. I'll be fine.

~~~~~

I'm in the elevator talking to Jackson about mom not coming back to work this week.

Savannah: she played the cancer card on Richard? Isn't that her new shorthand for—

Jackson: "stop questioning me"? Yeah.

We rush to the helipad and meet with the first gurney.

Paramedic: Kari Donnelly, 50, complains of neck and back pain after a snowmobile collision. BP 150/90, tachycardic with some leg weakness on exam.

Savannah: okay, got her. Let's go.

~~~~~

Amy and Link come towards the trauma room.

A&L: you paged?

Savannah: Dr. Shepherd, Dr. Link, Kari Donnelly– she rolled her snowmobile.

Kari: not on purpose.

Savannah: the films just came up, but I need to help Dr. Avery.

I step out of the room and approach Jackson with Webber.

Savannah: hey. How're we doing here?

Jackson: no palpable pulse in the arm, getting a weak Doppler signal, it sounds like. Got some arterial compromise, as well.

Toby: i-is my mom okay?

Savannah: she's stable. We'll know more soon, okay? Let's make sure you have no other injuries.

Toby: snowmobiling was her idea. She's always pushing me to face my fears. She was right. It was a lot of fun. God, why is she always right?

Jackson: I know how you feel.

Savannah: that's a part of mom life. We've earned the right to always be right.

Toby: I mean, fun til she swerved to miss a tree and flipped us five times.