Twenty Two

I walk into the lounge and change.

Jackson: hey, bub.

Savannah: hey, bub.

Jackson hands me a cup of coffee then kisses my cheek.

Webber: I have great faith in you. I can because I chose you, I trained you. I've watched you work. I know what you can do. That's why today is different. The training wheels are coming off, people.

Then, Chief Webber starts handing out navy blue scrubs to all the fourth year residents.

Meredith: navy scrubs?

Webber: Attending scrubs. You are Attendings today. Run the cases, take point, but don't be a fool. If you get in over your head, cry uncle. Until then... congratulations. You've just been promoted.

Jackson and I look at each other with the biggest smiles on our faces. I let out a squeal of excitement as I run off to change into my new scrubs.

-later-

April and I walk up to the nurses desk and I smile as I get my chart. I see Jackson and Alex walking up to us, and I smile as Jackson shows off his scrubs.

Savannah: wow. Navy blue suits you, bubs.

Jackson: you look pretty gorgeous yourself, bub.

Jackson kisses my cheek.

Jackson: whose service are you taking today?

Savannah: Alex and I are with Sloan. You?

Jackson: Meredith and I are with Shepherd.

Savannah: lucky! I'm nervous.

Jackson: you're gonna be great, bub.

Savannah: Alex and I should get going. Good luck with Shepherd, bub.

I kiss Jackson on the cheek then Alex and I walk off to meet with Mark.

Alex: when are you gonna admit that you have feelings for Avery?

Savannah: what?

Alex: oh, come on, Sav. It's insanely obvious that you're in love with him.

Savannah: Alex, Jackson and I have been best friends since we were 2. We have a close relationship.

Alex: it's exhausting watching you guys flirt with each other.

Savannah: you're delusional.

I smile as Alex and I approach Mark.

Savannah: hi, Mark. Alex and I are taking over your service today.

Mark: excellent. Follow me.

Mark takes the chart and we walk.

Alex: it's our case. Are you gonna hand us the chart?

Mark: what factors would lead a patient to want breast reduction surgery?

Alex: uh, neck pain, back pain, balance issues. Hand it over.

Mark: keep trying.

Alex: I don't know. Maybe she's a prude, uh, doesn't want everyone staring at her all the time. Maybe she's embarrassed.

Mark: no, but you're getting warmer.

Alex and I walk into the room.

Alex: hi, Dr. Karev.

Savannah: and I'm Dr. Collins.

Mindy: Mindy Gruberman. Nice to meet you.

Alex turns to Mark.