Ninety Eight

Jackson and I are walking through the halls together, and I see Bailey approach us.

Bailey: wait. Maggie Pierce is quitting?!

Savannah: not on my watch.

Owen comes around the corner.

Owen: Averys, tell me I'm not losing another cardio chief.

Jackson: we are into it, alright? My mother has called me and my wife twice. It's a PR nightmare.

Bailey: she's damn right it is– first Russell, then Yang, now Pierce?

Owen: Yang and I busted our asses interviewing people, and now I have to start this whole—

Savannah: if you guys had been welcoming from the start, we wouldn't be struggling to keep cardio surgeons. It doesn't take much to be a decent human being, for the love of Lord.

I groan as I storm off.

Jackson's POV:

I watch my wife storm off, leaving everyone confused.

Owen: what's wrong with Sav?

Jackson: well, she isn't the biggest fan of the fact that Bailey is on the board. Plus, she's become really good friends with Pierce. And my mother is calling her every day to get her more involved with the foundation.

I let out a deep breath.

My POV:

I walk into the lab and see Maggie working on a patient while talking to Amy.

Amy: that is between me and my employer, Dr. Shepherd.

Savannah: aka me. Why are you resigning?

Maggie: I'm seeing diminished perfusion to the spine.

I lift up the cover.

Amy: Roy, wiggle your toes for me, would you, please?

Nothing happened.

Roy: wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.

Savannah: wiggle a little harder.

Amy: let me check his babinski reflex.

Amy checks his reflex, and his toes fan out.

Maggie: when the toes fan out reflexively, what's that indicate?

Wilson: just what you're afraid of– high spinal injury. Is he paralyzed?

Maggie: try it again.

Roy: s-something's wrong? I can't feel my legs. What's happening?

Maggie: Roy, it's possible that the blood to your spine has been cut off by the graft, but I'm gonna do everything I can to fix it, okay?

Roy: okay. Please do. Please.

Maggie: I'm gonna give you something to let you sleep.

Amy: start with trying to induce hypertension. See if we can enhance spinal perfusion.

-later-

I'm was paged out of the OR and I walk into the ER.

Savannah: I was paged?

Nurse: neuro consult in bed 5.

I grab the tablet and walk over to the patient who was with Edwards.

Savannah: catch me up, Edwards.

Edwards: Jayden Collins, 15 years old. He was involved in a school fight and hit his head. This is his teacher.

Teacher: I was on my way to the staff room, and I saw the fight happening. When I got out there, Jayden was on the ground like this.