114

Today is the day the fresh batch of interns come in, but instead of being at the hospital, I'm with Jackson, mom, baby Cathy, and Natalie, who had drove down to Seattle for mom's wedding.

Mom: Jackson. Jackson! This is– uh– you are just making a mess. What are you doing?

I look over at my husband who was sitting on the couch with Natalie and Cathy, eating lunch and making a mess.

Jackson: oh. Do you want some?

I chuckle at my husband.

Mom: sweetheart, you and the girls don't have to be here. Really, I'm fine. Savannah, sweetheart, you shouldn't even be here. You should be at the hospital getting a look at the new interns.

Jackson: I am supporting you. I'm your maid of honor. Sav and Natalie said the job of the maid of honor– support the bride. Keep her company. So I'm supportin'. I'm keeping you company with your daughter and your granddaughters.

Savannah: you're forgetting someone, love.

Jackson: oh, right. And future grandson or daughter.

Mom's eyes grow wide.

Mom: wait. Are you...

Savannah: happy wedding day, mom.

Mom lets out a squeal and gives me a hug.

Mom: oh, this is the greatest wedding present ever! How far along are you, sweetie?

Savannah: getting close to six weeks.

Mom: I'm getting another grandbaby!

I chuckle as mom gives me another hug.

Savannah: okay, enough about me. This is your day, mama.

I grab Cathy and place her on my lap.

Jackson: you know, Meredith also said that the maid of honor drives the getaway car if you want to make a run for it.

Savannah: so, if you want to make a run for it, we're standing by. Just say the word, and we got you.

Jackson: until then, we're up on LA by 4.

Just then, both mine and Jackson's phones start buzzing. I place Cathy down and read the message.

Mom: is that Richard? Tell me that he's here. Tell me he's here, finally. I told him not to go to the hospital today.

My eyes grow wide when I read the message.

Jackson: it's not Richard.

Mom: what's wrong?

I leave Cathy with Natalie and I rush to the hospital with Jackson. The second we get there, I change quickly then bolt down to the ER and rush to the ambulance bay to meet paramedics.

Savannah: what do we got?

Paramedic: mid-60s female with crush injuries. Massive blood loss at the scene. We've done chest compressions for 28 minutes.

April checks the patient's pulse before shakigun her head at me. I nod then make my way to the next ambulance.

Savannah: talk to me.

Paramedic: 49 year old male. Went into v-fib en route. Shocked times three. He had two rounds of EPI and VASO.

I step into the ambulance and check the monitors.

Paramedic: there are four more ambulances behind us. Every last one of them's got nothing but DOAs.

I see Meredith and Bailey run out.