Eighty

Jackson and I are sitting in an on-call room going over paperwork and charts. Well, I am. Jackson had his head in my lap trying to get my attention.

Jackson: babe, come on. Take a break. I wanna cuddle.

Savannah: calm down, you big baby. We need to focus on paperwork—

Jackson: five minutes.

I look at Jackson who was giving me puppy dog eyes.

Savannah: fine.

I giggle as Jackson placed me into his lap and starts giving me kisses all over my face.

Jackson: I love you.

Savannah: I love you too.

The two of us lay down and Jackson wraps his arms around my stomach while I snuggle into his chest.

Jackson: how's it going with wedding planning with April?

Savannah: good. April's been focusing on trying to give me the perfect wedding, even though I keep telling her to focus on both our weddings. Natalie joined the wedding planning and she's been doing the same thing.

Jackson chuckles at me.

Jackson: Natalie's been waiting for this day since she was little. She gets to be a little excited.

Savannah: I know. I should've seen it coming. She's been waiting for us to get married since she was six.

Jackson: I'll never forget the day she asked us to get married as her birthday present.

Jackson and I share a laugh as mom walks into the room.

Mom: oh. Hi, babies! I didn't mean to interrupt anything. I just needed a couple pillows for Richard.

Savannah: you're good, mom. I was just doing some paperwork, but your son was begging for my attention like a little baby.

Jackson: hey!

Mom and I share a laugh as I hand her a couple pillows.

Mom: why are you in here doing paperwork, sweetheart? There's a perfectly good conference room across the hall.

Jackson: we'd prefer not to be disturbed by people asking us for money. Nobody disturbs you in an on-call room.

Just then, I get paged to the pit.

Savannah: oooh! Hang glider trauma! Gotta go, bye.

I kiss Jackson then hug mom before running off towards the pit.

Jackson's POV:

I chuckle as I watch Savannah run off.

Mom: she really loves her traumas, doesn't she?

Jackson: yeah, she's made it clear that she loves traumas more than she loves me.

Mom and I share a laugh.

Mom: she's good. I swear, if you ever do anything to hurt that girl—

Jackson: I love her, mom. I'd do anything to keep her happy.

Mom: good. 'Cause girls like that are rare.

Jackson: believe me, mom. I know.

My POV:

I meet up with April, Owen and Callie in the ER for the trauma.

Savannah: what do we got, Kepner?

April: her name is Reese Woods, 22. Hang gliding over Tiger Mountain, BP's 100/70, open tibia fracture, and complaining of abdominal pain.