180

TW: mentions of domestic violence and sexual assault

I'm sitting in my office doing some paperwork, and I see Jackson walk in with the kids.

Jackson: you left early this morning.

Savannah: I know. I was paged for an emergency surgery, then a couple of consults. Sorry, babe.

Jackson: it's fine. The kids wanted to see you since they missed you this morning at breakfast.

I smile as Jackson placed a muffin and a cup of coffee on my desk.

Cathy: we missed you, mommy. Uncle Jay and daddy made pancakes.

Savannah: aww, that's nice.

Jackson: but, they liked uncle Jay's better than mine.

Cathy: he put chocolate chips in them, daddy!

Savannah: that's fair. Chocolate chip pancakes are top tier.

Jackson chuckles at me.

~~~~~

I was paged by Jo for a patient, so I walk into the exam room.

Savannah: hi.

Abby: why do I need another doctor? Can't I just keep you two?

Savannah: it's Abby, right? Hi. I'm Dr. Avery-Collins. Dr. Karev and Dr. Qadri will still be your doctors, but would it be okay if I helped? May I do an ultrasound just to check for internal injuries?

Abby nods, and I step forward.

Savannah: great. Okay, let's lie you back. I got you. That's it, I got you. Okay, you're almost there. Okay. Just gonna open your robe.

I open Abby's robe and I see all the bruises on her body. I had to try and keep my face normal and calm.

Savannah: now a little gel. Alright, you'll feel just a little pressure. There we go. Good job. Alright, Abby, you do have a year in your diaphragm, and it's caused your abdominal organs to move up into your chest. You're gonna need a surgery.

Abby: fine. Whatever you need to do so I can go home.

Savannah: alright, Dr. Karev, can I talk to you outside for a minute?

Abby: no, no, can you stay?

Jo: I'll just be right outside. I won't be more than a couple minutes—

Abby: y-you can't– you can't leave, please? Just do the surgery, and then I can go home, and then it'll be over.

Savannah: alright. Well let them know to prep an OR. Qadri, come with me. Thanks.

I lead Qadri out and shut the door.

Savannah: book an OR, but do not let the nurses or anyone else do an antibiotic prep.

Qadri: so we're not operating on her?

Savannah: Abby's wounds are consistent with someone who's been sexually assaulted, and if that's true, when the nurses prep her with an antibiotic solution, evidence will be erased. So we wait. We wait and give Abby the chance to talk without taking more of the agency than she's already lost. Go book the OR and come straight back.

I take a couple of deep breaths to collect myself before I step back into the room.

Savannah: hey. Are you sure there isn't someone we can call?

Abby shakes her head.

Jo: can we ask you how you got hurt?

Abby: does it matter? You said you can fix it, right?