Seventy Six

I'm walking around the hospital with Jeremy and I see Jackson in the distance talking to some blonde woman.

Savannah: Jer.

Jeremy: mhmm.

Savannah: who's that woman Jackson is talking to?

Jeremy looks at Jackson then back at me.

Jeremy: that's Dr. Boswell. Jackson flew her out here for our cleft lip kid.

Savannah: oh my god, Dr. Lauren Boswell?!

Jeremy: yep.

Jeremy and I walk up to Jackson.

Jackson: there you are. Dr. Boswell, this is Dr. Jeremy Harris. He will be assisting me in our surgery.

Boswell: it's a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Harris.

Jeremy: pleasure to meet you too, Dr. Boswell.

Jackson: and this is my very beautiful girlfriend, Dr. Savannah Collins.

I smile at Dr. Boswell and shake her hand.

Savannah: it's nice to meet you, Dr. Boswell.

Boswell: pleasure to meet you, Dr. Collins. Dr. Avery has been singing your praises.

I smile at Jackson. Just then, I get a page.

Savannah: I'd love to stay and chat, but I have a consult in the ER. Good luck with your patient, J. It was nice meeting you, Dr. Boswell.

Boswell: you as well.

I run down to the ER. I grab the chart and approach the patient.

Savannah: hi, Kimmy. My name is Dr. Collins. I hear you're having some stomach pain.

Kimmy groans incoherently.

Friend 1: she was over-served.

Friend 2: or roofied. The bartender was a total skeeve. He tried to grab my ass.

Friend 1: no, he caught your ass. You threw it at him.

The one friend booty slams the other, causing her to shriek. Kimmy groans when I touch a sensitive part of her stomach.

Savannah: sorry.

Friend 2: is she gonna boot?

Friend 1: she should. Good call. You only turn 21 once, Kimmy. Boot and rally.

Savannah: can you guys focus for a second? Do you remember when the pain started?

Friend 1: at Kappa Sig.

Friend 2: no, she was making out with Eric at Kappa Sig. I think it was at brunch.

Friend 1: oh, you're right. It's probably just food poisoning or something. Can't you just pump her stomach?

When the one friend breathes into my face, I gag when I smell the alcohol on her. I haven't drank since I got pregnant, and the smell of alcohol revolts me.

Savannah: no. Can you...

Friend 2: smile, biatch.

Savannah: I need to run some tests. You'll wait for her?

Friend 2: how long? 'Cause my Econ study group starts in, like, an hour.

The girl then vomits, causing her friend to start laughing uncontrollably. I shudder as I approach a nurse.

Savannah: we need a vomit clean up right away.

April approaches me at the nurses desk.

April: smell of alcohol still nauseates you?