139

13x09

I'm standing at the nurses station as DeLuca comes up to me.

Andrew: okay. I got one from the supply closet. Also, why do we keep these anyway? I mean, who keeps an instant photo anymore?

Savannah: because an apartment building collapsed in the middle of Seattle. Right now, we're getting the victims, the survivors. Then in about 20 minutes, we're gonna start getting the people who love the victims– their moms and husbands and girlfriends and grandmas and friends and children and wives with babies in their arms. This waiting room is going to fill up with hopeful people wanting to know where their loved ones are. Some of them are here, but most of them are buried under the rubble of that collapsed building. And the only way to know for sure, the only way they can identify who made it to this hospital and who didn't is with this. This camera is a golden ticket. I want a photo of every single patient on this board in the next hour. Got it?

Andrew: got it.

-later-

Finding Owen in the hallway, I fill him in on patients.

Savannah: yeah, I've got a depressed skull fracture. Is Shepherd here yet?

Owen: I don't know.

Savannah: didn't you come in together?

Owen: Collins, your guess is as good as mine where she is.

Savannah: is everything okay?

Charlie: hey. I-I got to get home.

Savannah: sir, you need to lie down.

Charlie: my wife is—

Savannah: I understand that, sir. What's your name?

Charlie: Charlie.

Savannah: okay, Charlie, what I need you to do—

I was cut off when Charlie starts spitting up blood all over my trauma gown.

Savannah: okay, thank you. That is now the third time today I've been spit up on. Okay. I need an intubation tray and a central line kit. Draw a CBC and a cross match.

Owen: you guys, open up a trauma room. Riggs, we're gonna need a hand here.

Riggs comes over to us and gives us a hand.

-later-

I'm with Owen in the ER speaking to Charlie's wife about his injuries.

Charlie's wife: he threw up blood? Charlie threw up blood?

Owen: yes, your husband has a gastric injury and a tear in his diaphragm.

Savannah: Dr. Riggs, Dr. Hunt and I will be taking him up to the OR now.

Charlie's wife: how did this happen? What happened to him?

Owen: your husband was in your apartment when the building collapsed.

Charlie's wife: we don't live in an apartment.

Savannah: oh. Well, we will update you, okay?

Owen and I walk over to the nurses station, and Riggs comes up to us.

Savannah: hey, Owen and I just updated Charlie's wife.

Riggs looks up at us.

Nathan: Charlie's wife?

Savannah: mhmm.

Nathan: Charlie's married? Our patient Charlie?

Owen: what's the matter with you?