142

I walk into Minnick's meeting with the residents.

Savannah: I was paged?

Minnick: yes, thank you for coming. Today, the residents will be doing a kidney recovery and transplant.

Savannah: who's leading?

Minnick: they are. They will do as much of the surgery as they can under the extremely close watch of an Attending. It just so happens that every single resident requested you.

Savannah: you're basically using my teaching method. Way to change it up, Minnick.

Minnick: you will be in OR 3 with Dr. Karev supervising Dr. Wilson and Edwards.

I walk over to Edwards.

Savannah: the recipient is a 16 year old boy. You gonna be okay?

Edwards: yes, ma'am.

Savannah: Wilson, will you be okay working with Karev?

Wilson: yes, Dr. Collins.

Savannah: alright. You guys are gonna be great, I know it. I have so much faith in you guys.

-later-

I'm standing in the patient's room with Minnick, Wilson and Edwards.

Cynthia: so, how long will my kidney last in there?

Wilson: it should last up to 15 years.

Cynthia: oh. So, definitely through college then. Perfect, it'll be like a guardian angel kidney. I will be watching over you like your conscious– I'll be whispering in your ear, "Christopher, do your homework. Christopher, change your sheets. Christopher, put down the Jagermeister"—

Chris: you got to interrupt her. She'll never stop.

Minnick: I'm not the one in charge. They are.

Wilson: if you don't have anymore questions, then Dr. Edwards and I will see you in surgery.

Cynthia: uh, just one thing– tell my son it is mandatory to kiss his mother before she goes under the knife for him.

Chris: stop!

Edwards: it's mandatory, dude.

Savannah: speaking as a mother, I can say that it is very mandatory.

Cynthia: thank you.

Edwards: uh, doctors Karev and Webber will be in in a minute to prep you for surgery.

Chris: thanks.

Cynthia: thank you.

I smile at the mother and son as we walk out of the room.

Minnick: that was good, but don't be afraid of taking the lead. Embrace it. Be assertive.

I get paged to the ER for a neuro consult.

-later-

I'm standing with Jackson at a nurses desk, and I notice Arizona talking to Minnick. I roll my eyes at Minnick as she walks away while Arizona grabs a tablet.

Jackson: I do not know how you do it. I don't know how you can be polite to her.

Arizona: oh, I know. She's the worst.

Savannah: I couldn't do it, not after the way she screwed Webber over.

Jackson: I'm with Sav.

Arizona: yeah, right. Got to go.

Arizona walks off as Jeremy approaches us.

April: all Minnick did was take a job she was offered.

Jackson: no, she stole that job.