146

I walk over to Edwards in the ER who was with a patient who was screaming in pain.

Savannah: alright. Edwards?

Edwards: uh, Mary Parkman, 25. Complaining of gradual onset severe abdominal pain. History of previous appy. She's moving around so much, I couldn't really get a read.

Savannah: hi, Mary. I'm Dr. Avery-Collins. I'm gonna just gently palpate your abdomen to check for tenderness, okay?

As soon as I pressed down on her abdomen, she starts groaning in pain.

Savannah: yeah, abdomen's distended.

Dennis: hang in there, noodle. You're doing great.

Mary: I hate that you're seeing me like this.

Dennis: you hurt, I hurt, sugarbear. I'm here for you.

I look over at Edwards.

Edwards: they do that a lot.

Savannah: Mary, can you tell me if the pain is localized in any part of your abdomen, or is it—

Mary: n-no, it's– it's everywhere. It's– ow!

Savannah: okay. Alright. You are doing great. Can you breathe? Deep breaths. In. Good. Out.

Mary: Dennis made me breakfast in bed. It was... so sweet. Pancakes, bacon, a—

Mary leans forward and vomits... onto my shoulder and it ends up in my hair.

Mary: oh my god. I am so sorry.

Savannah: no, it's fine.

Edwards: here you go.

Edwards hands a puke bag to Mary.

Savannah: Edwards, um, admit her, and, uh, page Dr. Webber. I'm just gonna go—

Edwards: go wash the puke out of your hair? Got it.

I start walking off towards the showers. On the way to the showers, I bump into Jackson.

Savannah: don't... say anything.

Jackson: I wasn't going to say anything.

I send a glare to my husband who was chuckling at me.

Jackson: I love you, sweetie.

Savannah: love you too.

I keep walking until I get to the showers. I quickly change into new scrubs before I start washing my hair in the sink. After a couple minutes of washing, I comb my fingers through my hair. As I was combing, I felt something weird. I pull something out, and...

It was a worm.

Savannah: oh my god!

I throw the worm then rush to Mary's room.

S&W: worms! [it's worms.]

Savannah: it's just– I, um– I just found a worm from her stomach in my hair. It was really long.

Webber: and there's one in the suction canister too.

Mary: a worm?!

Edwards: wait. So that means that's...

Webber: a whole lot of worms.

-later-

I walk into the imaging room with DeLuca to join Edwards and Webber.

Savannah: do we know what they are?

Webber: ascaris lumbricoides, the intestinal roundworm. Can grow to a length of half a meter. It's rare in the US, but an estimated 1/6 of the human population's infected.