120

Jackson and I are driving to work, and we start talking about the rumors going around about Owen and Riggs.

Jackson: I heard from Robbins that the fight was over April.

Savannah: no way. April would tell us. Well, she would tell me.

Jackson: true. Has Hunt told you anything?

Savannah: nope. All I know is that he hates him. Whatever Riggs did must've been really bad to make Owen this mad. I'm being civil with him at work because it's my job.

Cathy: snow!

I look out the windshield and I notice ash falling from the sky.

Savannah: that's not snow, babygirl.

Jackson: nope. That's ash.

Savannah: there goes my chill day in the ER.

-later-

I'm standing next to Jackson in the lobby with all the staff as Bailey addresses the situation.

Bailey: four crews of firefighters were trapped battling wildfires east of town. We have at least 40 injuries en route. I said we would take all of them.

Jackson: 40? We're gonna hut capacity, and—

Bailey: we will take all of them. We're looking at second, third, and fourth-degree burns, smoke inhalation, and some traumas. All non-critical... patients, um... are being transferred to Seattle Pres and Tacoma. This entire hospital is now a burn-treatment center. If you are a little rusty... Plastics will be available for consult, but they will be in high demand and cannot be everywhere. If you need them... residents, stay with your assigned Attendings unless needed in the burn unit or in the pit. Uh, everyone who is on call has been called in. This is an all-hands-on-deck situation. Triage in the ER, send the critical patients to the burn unit or the OR. Dr. Avery is your point person on this, okay? Uh... let's see. Then that's... Dr. Collins, can you tell us anything?

I step forward and face everyone.

Savannah: I'm gonna make this quick because we have lives to save. Being burned alive is absolutely horrible and psychologically torturing. Psych consults are here and ready when needed. If you see a patient that needs one, you call it in immediately.

Intern: sorry, but isn't it our job to worry about the patient surgically and not mentally?

Savannah: like I said, being burned alive does a number on you psychologically. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't be alive if I didn't have psych evals. You aren't just surgeons, you are the people saving their lives. They put all their trust in you to keep them alive. You need to save them surgically, emotionally, and mentally. Call for help. Don't be stubborn. Now, let's get to work. Come on.

I start making my way down to the pit. Jackson catches up with me as I throw a trauma gown on.

Savannah: I'll jump on triage and the most acute injuries.

Jackson: Sav—

Savannah: you take any compromised airways.

Jackson: baby, can we talk about what you said to everyone? Are you—

Savannah: now's not the time to worry. I love you for worrying, but my ER is about to be jam-packed. We don't have time for this.

Jackson: okay. But can we talk about this later?

I give Jackson a kiss.

Savannah: yes. I promise we can talk about this later. Now, let's worry about patients instead of me for a while.

Jackson and I ride the elevator to the roof and start bringing in patients.

-later-

Jackson and I walk up to Bailey in the ER.

Jackson: Chief, the burn unit is full, and I need beds down here.

Savannah: we can't take any more. We're already at capacity.

Jackson: Jeremy and I have patients with extensive burns that are on gurneys in the hallway.

Savannah: well, we need to start diverting to other hospitals.

Bailey: no, no. We're not doing that.

Jackson: well, I need to know what we are doing, please.

Webber: do I need to notify Seattle Pres?

Bailey doesn't respond.

Savannah: Chief!

Bailey: I said we're not turning firefighters away. Come with me.

Jackson walks off with Bailey.

-later-

I walk over to Owen in the ER.

Savannah: Dr. Hunt? Owen.

Owen: hmm?

Savannah: your mom's boyfriend– he's a firefighter, right?

Owen: yeah. Why?

Savannah: because she's here– your mom.

I point Owen in the direction of his mother.

Owen: Cross, take over.

I follow Owen towards Evelyn.

Owen: mom?

Evelyn: Owen! John was working the fire. They said they brought him here. Have you seen him?

I hand the tablet to Owen.

Owen: hang on. Hang on. He is in surgery. Dr. Grey and... Avery-Collins, page Pierce to OR 3.

Savannah: okay.

I run off and page Maggie.

-later-

I'm making my way to John's room, and I see Owen punch Riggs.

Savannah: Owen!

I rush over and check Riggs' face.

Savannah: Owen, what the hell?!

Nathan: don't worry, I'm fine.

Savannah: let's get you checked out anyway. Bailey will probably want to talk to you both.

Nathan: you're probably right.

Savannah: get used to it. If you're gonna continue working here, you're gonna figure out real quick that I'm very rarely wrong.

Riggs chuckles at me as I take him to do a neuro exam.

-later-

I'm walking out of the hospital with Cathy, and I meet with Jackson outside.

Savannah: ready to go home?

Jackson: yes. So ready.

Savannah: let's hit it, baby.

We get in the car and drive home.

Jackson: want me to make garlic mashed potatoes while I talk about my patient? I know you've been craving it.

Savannah: oh my god, I love you so much! Yes, please talk about it. Did I hear correctly that you, Callie and Warren put a man's hand in his abdomen?

Jackson: yeah, it was actually Ben's idea. It was amazing. See, he needed a sling. So...

I smile as I pay attention to Jackson talk about his patient.