111

Jackson and I fall back onto the bed with heavy breaths.

Savannah: wow.

Jackson: tell me about it.

Savannah: you've still got it.

Jackson: so do you. Wanna go again—

Just then, I hear Cathy crying in the baby monitor.

Savannah: go get our daughter ready. I'm taking a shower.

Jackson: where's my invite?

Savannah: no invite. Now, go grab our child or else you will never see me naked again.

Jackson: I will grab our child.

I chuckle as I make my way to the bathroom.

-later-

I'm discussing with a nurse in the ER, when Edwards and Wilson come into the ER with an injured couple. We set them up in beds and try to asses their injuries.

Savannah: sir, you need to let go so we can see where the bleeding is!

Thomas: ahh! My wife!

Rory: here. Take this.

Edwards: sir, please hold still.

Thomas: my wife.

Savannah: your wife is fine, sir. Just hold still. Edwards, anything?

Edwards: no, no visible abdominal wounds. Sir, would you please let us—

Thomas: my wife!

Savannah: we can call your wife.

Thomas&Rory: no!

Thomas: my wife cut off my penis.

Rory: here.

My eyes widen as the woman hands Bailey a brown takeout bag.

Bailey: well, that's a big one.

Thomas: oh, God!

We move Thomas into a trauma room to properly asses him.

Savannah: let's run a CBC Chem 7 and get two units of blood ready to go. What's the penis status?

Edwards: dorsal veins look good.

Savannah: get it debrided and in saline gauze quickly. More pain meds! Fentanyl 150 IV. And we need to pack him. Cellulose polymer. Gauze!

Webber walks into the room with residents behind him.

Webber: and as you can see, Dr. Avery-Collins is doing the groin tourniquet method as I was telling you about, and Dr. Edwards is attending to the severed... appendage.

Savannah: bleeding's under control for now, but we're gonna need a specialist to reattach. My mom's on the west coast at a conference in San Francisco this week. I'll give her a call and have her come up early.

Thomas: is she good?

Webber: she's... very good, but so is Dr. McMurdo in our urology department here. Call him instead.

I roll my eyes at Webber's behaviour.

Savannah: the urethra is very ragged. Mom's skin flap reattachment technique would greatly increase the odds of a successful reattachment.

Thomas: well, then I want that! I want the one with the superior technique! I've worked with subpar technicians, line cooks who couldn't put out a plate.

Webber: I assure you, Dr. McMurdo knows all the techniques.

Savannah: hey! This is my patient, it's my call. You have a problem with it? Too damn bad. You can complain to the board, but it won't really do you any good. Dr. Webber, please leave so I can tend to my patient.