187

Today is Halloween, and I walk into the lounge with a box in my hands.

Jackson: hey, sweetie. Those the costumes for the kids?

Savannah: mhmm. The kids are having a half day today, so Natalie will pick them up later then they will do some trick or treating in Peds.

Jackson: what are they gonna be?

Savannah: Cathy will be Draco Malfoy, Shawn will be professor Snape, and Bella and Markus will be little mandrakes.

Jackson: aww. What about Nat?

Savannah: she's gonna be Harry Potter. I'll be Hermione and you'll be Ron Weasley, minus the red hair.

Jackson: yeah, I'm not putting on a wig.

Savannah: I can't imagine you with red hair. I wouldn't be able to look you in the eye.

Jackson: would you still have married me if I had red hair?

Savannah: ... no comment.

Jackson: hey!

I chuckle as I walk out of the room.

~~~~~

I was paged for a trauma, so I'm waiting in the ambulance bay while snacking on some chocolate.

Bailey: they call these fun size, but they'd be more fun if they were bigger.

I pass my bag to Tom.

Savannah: want one, Tommy?

Tom: I prefer not to lose my teeth.

Savannah: wow. Okay, buzzkill.

We run up to the ambulance that pulls up, and a man stumbles out.

Bailey: woah, woah, woah! Let's get you back on that gurney.

Kid: no. My leg's just a little scraped up. This is all fake. It's my friend.

The paramedic brings the patient out.

Paramedic: Austin Goodrich, 18, auto versus pedestrian. He's got visible head trauma. Left pupil's blown. Hypotensive and tachy despite 500 cc of LR, likely due to abdominal bleeding.

Bailey: oh. You mean where that giant ax is?

Paramedic: that is not real, but also difficult to remove.

Kid: we were walking to school when this car plowrd into him. Driver said he just didn't see him. Austin always wins our costume contest. He's, like, a master of fake blood and guts and organs. Is he gonna be okay?

Savannah: we'll know more when we take a look at his real organs. Let's get him into trauma one! Let's go!

~~~~~

While Koracick was doing the neuro check, I was doing an ultrasound while Bailey tries to remove the ax.

Bailey: man, I don't want to tear his skin, but this is really stuck. I think it's spirit gum. Um, I-I need more alcohol wipes.

Savannah: Jackson and I would prank Shawn on Halloween all the time as kids. I miss doing that. But after Natalie turned 10, that's when we started pulling pranks on Jackson. I've had a great streak going since then. Natalie, honey, can you get the spirit gum remover from the nurses desk? It's on the second shelf behind the desk.

Bailey looks over at me as Natalie runs out.

Bailey: you have spirit gum remover on hand?

Savannah: this isn't my first ER Halloween, Bailey. It happens more often than you think.